302 Question

I'd seriously try to mess with the EFI. Advance auto sells the electric fans, it took my jeep with a CARB 302 two fans on 14" and another 10". I didn't have enough space to fit the factory ford. Another thing to think about with the ford Radiator. This may not be a problem with the SAMI but on a jeep the steering box is on the left side of the vehicle right below the radiator support. The return from the radiator was at exactly the same spot. It was very tight but the hoses worked. Again I'd check the Bronce site to make sure you can even fit the right radiator. I know you want to save space but with that large of an engine and that small of a rig your going to have problems. What type of trans are you using?

fryedaddy said:
I'd seriously try to mess with the EFI. Advance auto sells the electric fans, it took my jeep with a CARB 302 two fans on 14" and another 10". I didn't have enough space to fit the factory ford. Another thing to think about with the ford Radiator. This may not be a problem with the SAMI but on a jeep the steering box is on the left side of the vehicle right below the radiator support. The return from the radiator was at exactly the same spot. It was very tight but the hoses worked. Again I'd check the Bronce site to make sure you can even fit the right radiator. I know you want to save space but with that large of an engine and that small of a rig your going to have problems. What type of trans are you using?

We'll see about the efi/carb thing, efi and all that wiring seems like it will be either too expensive premade, or a sh**load of very difficult custom wiring/computer stuff that I'd have to do. First im gonna take it apart and hot tank it anyway since its so nasty and it's been sitting a while, once i get that done I'm gonna start getting it to a running status. I dont think the radiator from the Bronce engine it came out of will fit in the samurai anyway, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna have to get something either to work or some type of aftermarket radiator.

jrraw23 said:
I dont think the radiator from the Bronce the engine it came out of will fit in the samurai anyway, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna have to get something either to work or some type of aftermarket radiator.

Probably not. The core size is about 19x31" with side tanks, IIRC. In at top PS, out at bottom DS. Take a look at car stuff. Mustang, Tbird, Crown Vic, Explorer, etc. They should be quite a bit smaller overall.

I don't know alot about Sami's so was that year Fuel Injected? I forgot the year you mentioned. If not as hard as it is for me to say I'd probably go CARB until you had the money to go the other way. If it wasn't EFI before you have pumps, line, etc. to buy as well just to get the engine to work then worry about the wiring and computer. I'm guessing if you have a EFI engine now then you'll have to put a new fuel pump on it. They are very cheap for CARB 20.00 or less though. If it was my choice and the rig was EFI I'd keep it that way. I know it may cost a little more but it will be worth it. If you have the tranny and engine already you should be able to go ahead and start installing it. It may have to be removed again but it will have to anyways while fabbing up everything.

fryedaddy said:
I don't know alot about Sami's so was that year Fuel Injected? I forgot the year you mentioned. If not as hard as it is for me to say I'd probably go CARB until you had the money to go the other way. If it wasn't EFI before you have pumps, line, etc. to buy as well just to get the engine to work then worry about the wiring and computer. I'm guessing if you have a EFI engine now then you'll have to put a new fuel pump on it. They are very cheap for CARB 20.00 or less though. If it was my choice and the rig was EFI I'd keep it that way. I know it may cost a little more but it will be worth it. If you have the tranny and engine already you should be able to go ahead and start installing it. It may have to be removed again but it will have to anyways while fabbing up everything.

The samurai itself wasnt feul injected, it was carbed and it was a 1988, just for reference. Yea, I think I am gonna just carb it, but we'll see.

Back