3.8 JKU Owners

Wes

Used JKU’s are finally getting to a decent price range. Sold my TJ rubicon a while back and I got the itch for another Jeep instantly. I need a 4 door for the crew. Every jeep forum is nothing but hate on the 3.8 sprinkled in with a few rare praises. I realize no one gets online to praise reliability. It’s usually the problem owners. For those of you that have owned a 3.8 wrangler, did you have excessive oil consumption, and was it severely underpowered as all the forums state? I’ve found a low mileage rubicon that I’d consider, provided you guys don’t change my mind. MUCH THANKS!

I really think they got so much hate because having 4 doors opened the market to a whole different kind of people. They had no experience of what a Jeep was like and expected way more out of the reality of it. The autos overdrive is a little steep from 3rd gear so you’ve got to regear them a little more with 35+ or heavy 33s to compensate and keep it from searching between gears. It’s 200hp v6 pushing a 4500lb+ box with less aerodynamics than a cow.

195k on mine. Owned it since 172k. Yeah, it's underpowered, but it's a jeep, I didn't buy it for the power. Oil consumption? Haven't had to add between changes. I've had to replace valve cover gaskets and intake manifold gasket and replaced one exhaust manifold. Overall I'd say I'm pretty happy with it and really don't understand all the hate either.

I've got a 2010 JKU with 150k. No issues with the engine, I can't kill it. It's an automatic transmission. I think a lot of the hate was due to the automatic transmission.

They used a minivan transmission and I guess they didn't bother changing the gear ratios. So, even 33 inch tires will dog it out with 3.73 axles. When I swapped to 5.13 axles gears, my 3.8 came alive.

Biggest complaint is on the highway with the auto the overdrive ratio sucks. It will barely hold speed flat with 33s. But a 5.13 gear solves that.
Also, 5.13s will still allow you normal highway speeds with decent RPMs on 33 or 35 inch tires.

My son's has lived on 35's all its known life. Came with and he keeps rocking the same size. Auto and driven up to Wilkes and Boone a lot when in school. Several trips to Tenn. and Waynesville areas as well, so plenty of hills. He has done some minor work and some I helped. Showing 185k or so and zero major issues. He changes oil on schedule and drives the snot out of it. Small tuner that mostly gives him all sorts of digital engine gauges and doesn't tow. He monitors trans temps and has let it rest before. He put a dirtbike behind it on a insert rack along with gear and noted it struggled badly. Stock gears.

Back