3/4 ton suburban tow rig

LANDCRUISER731

Anybody know of any problems with these the one im looking at is 2000 with the 6.0 geared 373 it has the 4l80e heavy duty trans and factory tow package with 9000 lb rated brakes.I ran the rpo sheet and it has all the heavy duty stuff any insight would be greatly appreciated.:vt:

i know it's somewhat of a different truck, but i've got a 96 2500 with a 454 that i use for around town stuff or trips that i don't need a place to sleep. it does great, my only complaints are the brakes could be a little better and it really needs airbags for anything over 7-8k. the 6.0 is strong, but if you have the luxery of looking around more they can be had with the 8.1 also.

ive got an 01 with the 6.0, with autoride, and it does have 4.10's i hate the autoride, the shocks are too expesive to replace, and they dont work that well. Its rated to tow 12k. I will be soon figureing out how to change the shocks over to either some ranchos/bilsteins/procomps, something that I can adjust the valving externally, and doing away with the autoride crap. It also has a normal tag on it, which i am unsure about the legality of towing 8k with it....just some info......mine has 150k on the ticker, only thing i have replaced is the water pump, leaked around 120k, and the intake manifold gaskets, started leaking aroun 120k also. other than changine all the filters and fluids, thats it.

exactly what i have, a yukon xl 2500 with a 6.0 4l80e, and 3.73 gears. on hills it wants to hunt between 3rd and 4th gear towing about 6500-6800 pounds. in the flats or slight hills, it will run 75-80 in OD without any issues. i got 10.5 MPG towing to harlan and back. it is sufficient for me. it is not a diesel, but it is really comfortable, and i can sleep in it. i like it, all that being said, if i could afford it, i would have a diesel.

thanks guys ive been driving it for about 2 weeks it seems to do good the trans feels weird but i havent driven alot of 3/4 suburbans. when im sitting on a hill and let off the brakes it wants to roll back i dont know if that is normal i know that it is a very heavy vehicle but the trans shifts and pulls good.:vt:

It also has a normal tag on it, which i am unsure about the legality of towing 8k with it
it's legal. suv's and rv's are exempt from weighted tags.

it's legal. suv's and rv's are exempt from weighted tags.
Not to argue the point but I have weighted tags on mine after talking to local DMV. If you haul a camper or boat you are good with only personal tags. I have mine tagged for 14k.
As far as a 2500 Sub, I have a 01 2500, 4.10's and 9.5k tow package and love it. Had the 4l80e replace at 74k. No probs other than that

straight from our resident lawyer...

O.k....let me clarify this one more time. You do NOT have to have weighted tags on an SUV, no matter how much weight you haul.

No, the statutes aren't exactly clear, and you have to jump all over the place in them to see all the related statutes, (which is why I'm not going to even try to post them here). However, I have talked directly to DMV about this, and not the peons that work in the offices, the policy makers themselves. DMV interprets "property-hauling vehicle" to INCLUDE pick up trucks, but NOT to include SUVs.

You can take my word for it or not, but I'm done stating it.

As an aside....even if your tow vehicle does not need weighted tags, you may need a Class A drivers license (non-commercial) depending on the weight you're hauling, i.e. over 10,000 lb being towed needs a Class A.

Thanks for posting that Ivan....I saw that thread, and had been re-reading it, when you posted

On a different note, I'm trying to find a late 90's 2500 suburban with the 6.5 turbo diesel in it, thats hopefully going to be my ultimate towrig/camping/recovery vehicle......

I love mine. Of course, mine is old ('82) and ugly, but it tows, and I can sleep in it easily.
Not to mention, you can just about get parts at Wal-mart for the 350, the SM465 should never have a problem, and a FF14 bolt is almost as good as a dana 44 rear...:flipoff2:

Not to mention, mine cost less than 1 new diesel truck payment.

Thanks for posting that Ivan....I saw that thread, and had been re-reading it, when you posted
On a different note, I'm trying to find a late 90's 2500 suburban with the 6.5 turbo diesel in it, thats hopefully going to be my ultimate towrig/camping/recovery vehicle......
imo, you're better off power wise getting one with a 454 or just sticking with your 6.0. not to mention the questionable reliability of all but the best maintained 6.5's.

Back