3/4 ton gasser

livetorun

Mammary Enthusiast
Who here tows with a 3/4 ton gasser? I'm looking for a new tow rig and want to explore all my options. I'd like a diesel but my budget and the fact that I'll only be towing probably 4 or 5 times a year will play a big part.

My tow rig is a dodge 2500 v10, drinks the gas but pulls like a dream.

92 Ford F350 utility bed 2wheel drive.Three fiddy one with a 5speed.Small trailer and Willys Jeep.

I've pulled with 3/4 tons alot. The biggest thing is to check the GVWR of each vehicle.

Simply looking at the 2500 or 3500 or 250/350 emblem won't determine what it is capable of. Do your homework on the particular vintage of what ever brand your looking at to see what each came with or could be optioned with.

Otherwise you can find 3/4tons with almost identical options as a 1ton that was a base model. Just lighter rear springs and a different fender badge.

Been pulling with my 96 Ram 2500 for years. Like Mike said, check the GVWR, mine is an 8800 lb rig, HD model with 4.10 diffs. Gets the job done at 65 mph but doesn't like Black Mountain, 421 into Boone, 45 mph and the mountains in Colorado :) I get about 10 mpg towing my CJ.

ihave a 04 silverado 2500HD with the 6.0L gas.... plenty of power and tows good. actually been toying with the idea of selling it and getting another jeep or something.....

interested??? haha

but seriously, it's a great truck. rides good unloaded and even better loaded.

I picked up a f250 1999 with a v10 to tow my camper. Gets 8-9 towing 12k and 11-12 unloaded. Pulls the weight good but its a fifth wheel.

I have a '00 Ram 2500 360 gasser with 35s and a 5 speed. Gets about 11 mpg driving to work, about 8 pulling my trailer/other truck (~7k lbs). I used to pull the same load with a '94 cummins. Biggest difference I notice is pulling up a hill, the diesel could pull in about 1 gear higher on the same hill and of course the fuel mileage while towing was a good 4 mpg higher.

If you want to pull over 8-9k with a gasser you'll probably need a V10 or big block.

One of my buddys has a 4x4 2500 6.0L auto chevy. And everyone else has cummins and he hang right with us towing everytime. And only burns a 1/2 tank more then us there and back. I don't know how hard he is running to to hang with us but I know we all are not running that hard in the diesels. But he really likes his truck and how it tows the rock crawler and his big a$$ camper. I know he paid way less for it then one of the other guys with the same year dodge cummins, so that's a plus

I personally like the hemi 2500 but my only towing experience with the hemi was in Florida. I worked at a construction equipment rental place & the only gas truck in the fleet was a 2004 RAM 2500 which I drove most 14-16 unloaded & 10-12 towing from 4000 pounds all the way up to 15000 which the truck shouldn't have pulled but it did.

02 2500hd chevy 6.0 4wd is what is use. 421 mtn going to mtn city is one helluva a pull on it but it gets the job done. Ive only got 95k miles on mine never had to do anything to it....ever. I pull my cj 4200 lbs all over with it

Chevy Suburban 2500 with the 454/4L80E combo.

It gets the job done, will pull a house down...but wont do it efficiently and wont do it quickly. Cheap though (the truck...not the gas you'll have to put in it)

I actually pull with my wifes 05 Denali. It kills two birds with one stone for me. A nice ride for her to drive and a great tow rig as long as you stay under the 8k pound mark since its all wheel drive. The 6.0L pulls up 321 mountain to Mnt. City great and still gets 12 mpg with a 16ft trailer and my toyota crawler on it. All my buddies with Cummins used to give me a hard time untill i started passing them going up the mountain! I also get by without having to get a wieghted tag. Its just another option i thought i would put on the table!

I picked up an 02 GMC Sierra 2500HD with the 6.0L a few weeks ago. I've only towed with it once but it did the job fine. I considered an SUV but wanted an open bed I could throw greasy parts in without having to worry about carpet. Thanks for all the inout!

:driver:

Suburban 2500 wih 4.10s has to have high test or octane boost when towing, pull out the 3rd row and throw in a futon mattress for camping.

I thought I was the only one that did that! (futon in the back) lol I will try the octane boost thing. Thanks

I thought yours was only classified as 3/4 ton, just because you were sitting in it :lol:

(she is a big beast<---the burban that is)

Back