2500HD question..

chromerunner

The Scrambler
i just picked up a 2002 2500hd crewcab 4x4 with the lq4 6.0V8

I have been reading on it and im wondering what trans i have. proablly 4l60E? I know the allison is in the 8.1 and dura's but not in the 6.0's.

Could my truck have been ordered with one? I have been told that only the allison trans trucks have the trans temp gauge in the cluster...Which i have. So im wonder is it possible and whats the best way to confirm. thanks

Nope 4l80E. Basically a TH400 with overdrive and electronically controlled. Shares most internals with the old TH400. All 6.0's in the 2500HD's got the 80e, Avalanche/suburbans with the 8.1 got the 4l85e, all truck 8.1/Duramax's got the Allison.

No way to get the allison behind the 6.0 from the factory.

It doesnt matter what transmission your truck came with as long as it was Auto, the PCM will read the trans temp, but only 2500HD's (also Escalades/Denalis/SS's but are backed with 4l60e or 65e's) come with the gauge in the cluster. Your can put a HD or Escalade/SS/Denali cluster in a halfton and the transmission temp gauge will start working automatically.

sounds good, thanks..
Do yourself a favor and get a decent dyno tune or mail order tune (if going that route I recommend Blackbear Performance out of VA). And I don't mean a little hypertech programmer, they don't work worth a crap on those engines. The 6.0 LQ4 is majorly detuned fromt the factory and there is a easy 50hp to be gained from just a tune on those engines plus a little gain in fuel mileage.

they are doing tunes at concord on the 11th or somthing..Im trying to get in on it but its going to be hard with short notice.(as i want a intake and exaust before i do his tune to get the full effect and moneys worth) It has a hypertech already but i hear his tunes are hands down the stuff!

Do yourself a favor and get a decent dyno tune or mail order tune (if going that route I recommend Blackbear Performance out of VA). And I don't mean a little hypertech programmer, they don't work worth a crap on those engines. The 6.0 LQ4 is majorly detuned fromt the factory and there is a easy 50hp to be gained from just a tune on those engines plus a little gain in fuel mileage.
do you have to run premium gas with that? as i can barely afford the regular i put in it now.

do you have to run premium gas with that? as i can barely afford the regular i put in it now.
No you specify what you want to run, and 87/91 or 91/93 tunes can be done. And really because the LQ4 is a low compression engine you won't benefit much from the 93 tune over the 87, although some.

BTW I'm not advertising for the guy, just really pleased with his work.
There are also local guys that can do just as great if not better such as Nick at Williams Performance, Tick Performance, or Alvin at PCMFORLESS, all of which are located in Mooresville and deal primarily with GenIII GM engines, but Blackbear deals primarily with the truck motors.

Your can put a HD or Escalade/SS/Denali cluster in a halfton and the transmission temp gauge will start working automatically.
Really? That's great to know because I was going to install a trans temp gauge on the pillar and after reading this I may not have to. So it's just plug and play? Does the computer keep the mileage the same as the old one?
Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the OP's thread. :beer:

Really? That's great to know because I was going to install a trans temp gauge on the pillar and after reading this I may not have to. So it's just plug and play? Does the computer keep the mileage the same as the old one?
Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the OP's thread. :beer:
You will have to get the mileage programmed at the dealer. You "can" grab a cluster directly from the junk yard and plug it in and it will work, but that would be "illegal". Trans temp gauge will start working automatically.

You can also spend $150 and get one of those little scangauge things (google it), and it will also read the trans temp, along with many other things.

You can also spend $150 and get one of those little scangauge things (google it), and it will also read the trans temp, along with many other things.
Thanks! :beer:

yep def 4l80e, i have one and like it. Mine actually came without the trans temp gauge though? It does have the tow package. Im gonna swap the cluster someday? One piece of advise, if you plan on pulling 421 up to mtn city, hold it to the mat and dont let out! That small block will be begging for mercy if you dont.

Back