24v twins build.

braxton357

Robot
Towed the dodge to rob ellis' "shop" in rock hill today so I'll be able to get some actual work done... going to start tomorrow by pulling the trans and rebuilding it with a suncoast "extreme" rebuild as well as billet flexplate, input and output. Has a dtt vb and tc already.

Anyway, it started out as I was just going to rebuild the trans due to whats probably a faulty governer.

Then decided that since the trans will be fresh I might as well replace the 75hp injectors with 150's and the juice/attitude with a qzilla adrenaline since it seems to be all the rage.

Since the towing egt's are already too high, figured I need more air and had decided on a bd super b...but was able to get a new ht3b for 499 and a non-wg 14cm hx35 turbine for 150, so that's going to be the start of my compound turbo setup.

Since I'm going to have the truck apart for the twins and injectors, figured this would be a good time to add o-rings and studs. Looking for a good shop to have deck/o-ring the head--thinking about farmboysdiesel since it's close...? Any feedback on them?

Truck already also has afe intake manifold, snow stage 2 meth injection, and an airdog fwiw.

Shooting for 525-550 hp/ridiculous tq, maybe more? Don't want to set my hopes too high.

Any comments/ideas?

Anyway, here she is on her last ride for a while, sketchiest load I've ever towed...will get pics of the parts tomorrow. The 3b is massive.

aimg295.imageshack.us_img295_1997_cimg0097ky2.jpg

aimg440.imageshack.us_img440_9942_cimg0098qw7.jpg

Thats a good ole truck. I look foward to seeing how it turns out. I know Nate sure does miss it. BTW, if you ever need to quickly remove the doors off of a nissan pathfinder, that truck is the perfect tool.....

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v126_cumminsdzl_th_a041.jpg
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v126_cumminsdzl_th_a045.jpg

Gus (Farmboy's Diesel Performance) doesn't do much actual work unless its on his own truck or close personal friends' trucks. He's a vendor and a great guy to do business with. If you need any parts, give him a call, and he'll give you the best price around. He's helped me out quit a bit with helping me choose parts.

Heard lots of good things about the work tim barber up at tre in va beach, not sure of to many people that actually do the machine work around local. Might send lucas a pm and see if he knows of anyone or can do it.

just a general turbo upgrade question, not sure if it relates due to the difference between a PSD and Cummins, But; does adding a bigger/more turbos (in affect adding more boost) increase EGT's?

Heard lots of good things about the work tim barber up at tre in va beach, not sure of to many people that actually do the machine work around local. Might send lucas a pm and see if he knows of anyone or can do it.
Yeah, he recommended I talk to poole, but he hasn't been so great at getting back to me. I guess I'll talk to them all some more and see what I can do.
just a general turbo upgrade question, not sure if it relates due to the difference between a PSD and Cummins, But; does adding a bigger/more turbos (in affect adding more boost) increase EGT's?
With the wastegate setup right, it should greatly reduce my egt's. Just as long as you don't work the secondary (smaller) turbo too hard.

Thats a good ole truck. I look foward to seeing how it turns out. I know Nate sure does miss it. BTW, if you ever need to quickly remove the doors off of a nissan pathfinder, that truck is the perfect tool.....

Yeah, hope he's enjoying that dmax. It sounds even better now with the 5" exhaust and no mondo tip-that-should-have-been-a-stack on it. :flipoff2:

Since the towing egt's are already too high, ]
I'm wondering if something is wrong with my EGT gauge, I can run my edge on the highest setting and tow a 28' up whatever grade you throw at it, on the floor at whatever the speed limit may be. My EGT's never get above 1150 I've seen it hit 1250 once for a few seconds but that was with a new holland skid steer and a 80's model reg cab dually on the trailer. Does my junk just run cool or wtf? Every other diesel I've had I needed to watch the EGT gauge constantly when towing heavy stuff up steep grades. Sounds like yours should run pretty well when your done, damn shame it'll be @ $5.00 a gallon.

oh my truck is an 01 6spd. edge comp. exhaust 40k on the motor, new liners bored .50 over., hopefully I haven't been roasting it.

It sounds even better now with the 5" exhaust and no mondo tip-that-should-have-been-a-stack on it. :flipoff2:

Yeah, we took the 5" tip off and put it on my truck before you bought it. You got the monster 6 incher that nobody wanted:flipoff2:

Yeah, we took the 5" tip off and put it on my truck before you bought it. You got the monster 6 incher that nobody wanted:flipoff2:

At least it's good to know now that he didn't actually put that on because he thought it looked good... it was the first thing to go. Got welded to a friend's stock honda while he was at work. :flipoff2:

Greg be sure that the tip of the sensor is far enough into the "stream" of air moving through the manifold. I've seen one or two sensors that the steam wasn't long enough to get far enogh in to read.

Might also check that the edge isnt set to defuel at a certain egt could be reason your are not seeing any higher egts as well.

Might also check that the edge isnt set to defuel at a certain egt could be reason your are not seeing any higher egts as well.
mine is a comp box ...it can't "see" EGT's

I changed the probe twice, no difference. I guess I shouldn't bitch, it hauls arss and doesn't get hot.

I saw the tranny going in this truck a while back:lol: This truck had stupid power already. I hope you'll be able to control it on those mtn roads:driver: Lemme know what you want for the
75's before I order mine. Lookin forward to seeing this done:beer:

I got back to you on Cummins Forum
If he's going suncoast, He'll just be doing a rebuild with the Extra Clutches. Couple things to think about, Suncoast has a Laminated flexplate that I've been much happier with than the Billet from places like ATS, With a billet flexplate you see more input shaft issues.
Secondly, The 150's would be a great choice, But get a Good set, Nothing like the jammers or you'll regret spending your money on them! On the quadzilla thing, I've tried one, And there "OK" but still have some bugs, And there causing an unusally high rate of pump failures with these boxes, I just made 839 on a drag comp and 90% of the VP big power guys are running a drag comp! I would for sure add O-rings, but Gus dosent do any machine work himself, While Olee does. Now he is hard to get ahold of, and is a bit honry.. lol but a great guy none the less. I would just find a shop thats got the BHJ tool for your head and get it cut, Or Olee will cut it for $300.00 (IIRC). Your HP goals are right in line! Most of your parts for twins can be purchased pretty cheap from source automotive!

Good Luck and if i can be of any help let me know!

Oh PS, I got banned on CF for telling it like I was but we all got over it and now its all good!

PS, Your egt's sound on the lower side of what I would consider,
Alot of times gauges can start to fail and read lower. But , What are the modifications on your truck? Was the same gauge in the truck when it failed the first time? In reality these trucks dont need to be Bored and Lined unless your realllly hard on it... I mean, I run 2000 Deg for 1-2 minutes and havent seen scores big enough for blow by.

I could see it being a faulty gauge or maybe a piston problem to cause the original issues, Or a cracked manifold will do the same, Failed turbo....I can list all kinds of stuff but all pretty rare!

I got back to you on Cummins Forum
If he's going suncoast, He'll just be doing a rebuild with the Extra Clutches. Couple things to think about, Suncoast has a Laminated flexplate that I've been much happier with than the Billet from places like ATS, With a billet flexplate you see more input shaft issues.
Secondly, The 150's would be a great choice, But get a Good set, Nothing like the jammers or you'll regret spending your money on them! On the quadzilla thing, I've tried one, And there "OK" but still have some bugs, And there causing an unusally high rate of pump failures with these boxes, I just made 839 on a drag comp and 90% of the VP big power guys are running a drag comp! I would for sure add O-rings, but Gus dosent do any machine work himself, While Olee does. Now he is hard to get ahold of, and is a bit honry.. lol but a great guy none the less. I would just find a shop thats got the BHJ tool for your head and get it cut, Or Olee will cut it for $300.00 (IIRC). Your HP goals are right in line! Most of your parts for twins can be purchased pretty cheap from source automotive!
Good Luck and if i can be of any help let me know!
Oh PS, I got banned on CF for telling it like I was but we all got over it and now its all good!

In the middle of pulling the trans right now. Thinking about rebuilding it myself, but still not sure. We'll see tomorrow. It actually isn't a billet flexplate, I tried to get a bd laminated but noone will have them for a month, so I went with dunrites "laminated" (double plate) flexplate. We'll see how it works...I'm not ever planning on being anywhere near your truck's level, so I think it will be fine.

With the adrenaline, it was cheaper to go that route than get a smarty with the edge, plus it gives a lot more options. Hopefully it won't disappoint. Everyone seems to be swinging from qzillas nuts over it so it can't be that bad...right?

What are your opinions on ddp injectors are they same as edge?

I've already got quite a few vband clamps, flanges, hoses, clamps, etc. from turbocharging v8's but I did go ahead and order some parts from source. I do have some other questions on some holset/cummins parts sizes.

Thanks for the help, I'll call you tomorrow.

Lemme know what you want for the
75's before I order mine. Lookin forward to seeing this done

Your turn. :flipoff2: Need a juice/attitude too? :D

Also, I'll be here in south charlotte for a few days. Let me know if anything's going on.

The DDP's are far higher than jammers and would be a great choice!
Dunrite actully buys there flexplates from Suncoast while BD makes there own, You'll be just fine with that, ATS came out with a billet a few years back claiming it wouldnt break....Well they were right, It wont break but everthing behind it will. If your breaking flexplates youll break a billet input!

I would FOR SURE do billet in and out, I'm a suncoast vendor, If you need help there let me know!

Just give me a call, I'll be glad to help!

L

PS , Keep in mind the ADR. is brand new still with alot of hype... It has lots of potential ... Lets just leave it at that lol

PS, Your egt's sound on the lower side of what I would consider,
Alot of times gauges can start to fail and read lower. But , What are the modifications on your truck? Was the same gauge in the truck when it failed the first time? In reality these trucks dont need to be Bored and Lined unless your realllly hard on it... I mean, I run 2000 Deg for 1-2 minutes and havent seen scores big enough for blow by.
I could see it being a faulty gauge or maybe a piston problem to cause the original issues, Or a cracked manifold will do the same, Failed turbo....I can list all kinds of stuff but all pretty rare!
(in my De Niro "taxi driver voice") "You talking to me?"

The DDP's are far higher than jammers and would be a great choice!
Dunrite actully buys there flexplates from Suncoast while BD makes there own, You'll be just fine with that, ATS came out with a billet a few years back claiming it wouldnt break....Well they were right, It wont break but everthing behind it will. If your breaking flexplates youll break a billet input!
I would FOR SURE do billet in and out, I'm a suncoast vendor, If you need help there let me know!
Just give me a call, I'll be glad to help!
L

I second that about quality of ddps compared to jammers. I wish I would have went with higher quality ones but I see myself steping up to 150s or 200s and I will get a high quality set then after I get a turbo to support them.

So I took apart the trans and the front band had 0 friction material left, the drum is wrecked as well. So I ordered a 6 clutch billet suncoast drum, 6 clutch od brake parts, 23 clutch od direct set and parts, 6 gear steel planet, and some other parts. Probably went overboard, but we'll see. Lucas, when I figure out what kind of money I'm going to end up spending on this trans I'll let you know about the head. Probably sometime early next week? Thanks for the help.

:edit: Here's the band...
aimg236.imageshack.us_img236_4646_0704081519gk8.jpg

And what I was going to rebuild the trans with...(some of it)
aimg234.imageshack.us_img234_3797_cimg0118pd8.jpg

Aannd, now it's ready to go back together again.

aimg139.imageshack.us_img139_1453_cimg0119mm9.jpg

Also, I seem to remember someone here working for cummins atlantic...anyone know where I can find a vband clamp and hopefully flange for the hx35 (14mm) non/wg or older housings? It looks like this and it's one of those holset only sizes...:rolleyes:

1214t.jpg

Back