24V turbo upgrades

superpile

Probably running in circles
My trucks an 02 CTD with typical mods and I'm now looking at the turbo. I'm pretty sure that once I do my injectors this weekend I may start to see some crazy EGTs while haulin even on the low chip setting and of course I'll be spinning the factory turbo way to fast. Was wondering what single turbo suggestions everyone has.
MODS are:
Quad 45/70/120hp module
Big ass air filter
4 inch turbo back with dynomax diesel pwr muffler
TCS triple disc converter
Dunrite valve body
150gph airdog fuel system
75hp injectors
The factory turbo has the bully dog jhook on it, that worked great, completely fixed the factory smoke at take off. I DD the truck sometimes when the urge strikes me. I seem to be hualin something just about every weekend anywhere from 2500lbs to 12000lbs. I'm thinking BD super but would like some input on what everybody has been using and likes. Cheaper is better but turbos seem to all be expensive, wish I had the hx-35 turbo and I'd just upgrade the compressor but just my luck I don't.

I was a big fan of the HTT 62/65/12 I had. Spooled great and stayed pretty cool with 125 hp injectors and my box on lower settings. It would get real hot with the box up on a hard run.

The 62/71/14 I have now is still nice, but spools slower. It does keep the egts down on a hard run though.

Why don't you buy a cheap used HX35 off ebay, then put the hx40 housing on it and then you can bolt it right on. Cheapest option and most bang for the buck

Why don't you buy a cheap used HX35 off ebay, then put the hx40 housing on it and then you can bolt it right on. Cheapest option and most bang for the buck

The bad thing about the hybrid 35/40 is a weak shaft that will eventually break and you don't really gain a whole lot. I'll give you a second vote for an HTT. I've had a lot of problems out of Industrial Injection. The 62 series is a good way for you to go with the mods you have.

Have you had experience with the shaft breaking? ...or just read about it on the internet?

I run the hydrid and a S400 in a twin setup thats puts 630hp at the wheels. No problem with the shaft here

The biggest problem IMO is the wastegate port not big enough to exhaust properly when running twins. But a little massaging with a plasma and grinder takes care of that

Have you had experience with the shaft breaking? ...or just read about it on the internet?
I run the hydrid and a S400 in a twin setup thats puts 630hp at the wheels. No problem with the shaft here
The biggest problem IMO is the wastegate port not big enough to exhaust properly when running twins. But a little massaging with a plasma and grinder takes care of that

I've broke the shaft on a super phat shaft as a single. The hybrid in a twin setup wouldn't have as much stress on it, wouldn't make as much boost as it would in a single setup, and also wouldn't bark like it would in a single setup, which is what causes most shaft failures. The hybrid is better than stock I will agree. I just don't think it's enough difference to be worth the money in a single setup. I'm sure it works great in your twins.

I will be driving through asheville sometime sat, then back sometime on sunday night. If you want to meet somewhere along the interstate, you can pick up that housing and give it a shot.
Otherwise, I've seen some great prices on the bd turbos...for what you want, they wouldn't be a bad choice.

Braxton sent you a pm. I like the BD turbo's over the Industrial injection, the ads for them seem to all be more for the race crowd than the general purpose towing crowd. I like the HTT upgrades and aftermarket HX40 turbos. Htt seemed to believe the hybrid HX40/35 would be ideal since I'm not racing or running massive injectors or towing on the race setting.

I've broke the shaft on a super phat shaft as a single. The hybrid in a twin setup wouldn't have as much stress on it, wouldn't make as much boost as it would in a single setup, and also wouldn't bark like it would in a single setup, which is what causes most shaft failures. The hybrid is better than stock I will agree. I just don't think it's enough difference to be worth the money in a single setup. I'm sure it works great in your twins.
Your not a fan of the HX40 upgrade? Do you think it doesn't add enough air to lower the egts correctly or you feel it spools to slow. I've heard the weak shaft thing from a few ppl. I considered a Dodgezilla from city diesel cause of cost and the fact they don't use the weaker shaft and you reuse the factory exhuast housing.

I was a big fan of the HTT 62/65/12 I had. Spooled great and stayed pretty cool with 125 hp injectors and my box on lower settings. It would get real hot with the box up on a hard run.
The 62/71/14 I have now is still nice, but spools slower. It does keep the egts down on a hard run though.
How much slower is the spool on the 14cm housing? Did it really make that much of a difference egt wise? Did you opt for the wastegated housing?

How much slower is the spool on the 14cm housing? Did it really make that much of a difference egt wise? Did you opt for the wastegated housing?
I would guess it takes the turbo a couple seconds longer to spool. I would not call it slow spooling by any means. Once it spools it can hit about 49 lbs of boost quick. With the 62/65/12 I could hit 1600* like it was nothing. With the 62/71/14 I can keep it to about 1400. This is all playing around not towing. If I was towing more often I would want the 62/65/12 back, it was better towing with my set up. It would keep egts around 7-800* average, with the 62/14 im around 9-1000* average. They were both wastegated.

Im running a HTT 62/12 on my 01 Dodge. its pushing at least 550hp at the rear wheels. While towing (usually around 7-12K) my EGT's never get above 12-1300. You will want a 12cm if your towing alot. They just seem to do alot better.

As for the difference between the 12 and 14, ive tried both. The 12 seems to help with low end torque since it spools somewhat quicker. The 14 is better for playing and racing. But towing with both, id go with a 12.

Thanks guys that is the kinda info I'm really looking for. Some stuff to brew over. Sounds like a 12cm housing would be better for my needs, but I do enjoy the red light to red light romp when it happens... But realisticly I've got to stick with the best/safest/reliable setup.

I love how ive got my truck set up right now. IT tows excellent and red light to red light, its awesome if i can get my tires to hook up in 2nd and 3rd gear. So i usually use the 4hi launch!

With your mods, you should be right around 375-400hp to the ground. The HTTB 62/12 should be about perfect for ya.

I know it's not an exact comparison, but get up with me one day and I'll take you for a ride in my truck. It has a 62/14/71 on it. I can't tell any difference from stock as far as spool up but I am fueling very heavy.

Back