24V Fuel Pump death

ProjekTJ

So I'm pretty sure my fuel pump has crapped out of me as of this morning. It sucks and it's bad timing always.

Should I suck it up and put of a FASS or just swap on another Carter as a band aid?

I'm mainly just looking for someone to push me in either direction.

SC

Fix it ASAP, whatever way you do it. It'll quickly take out the VP44 if you don't have any lift pressure.

FASS (or similar) is widely regarded as "the solution", but another carter can last you a good while as well.

If you're planning on a good deal of mods, FASS it.

The fuel pressure gauge wouldn't get above 6psi max. It ran with about 4psi under normal acceleration and cruising speeds; dipped down to 1 under any more than slight acceleration.
It's getting FASS'd as I type this, courtesy of Olee at PowerbyPoole. I didn't mess around since the truck already has an upgraded turbo, injectors, Edge comp, and 4"pipe. It made little sense to put another Carter on it.

Oh, and the online pictures of the FASS system do it no justice. That thing is a hoss in itself.

I'll let you know about my experience with the new pump later.

SC

Did you get the full FASS system or just the pump? My friend got the 95gph FASS pump and it is loud but it keeps his 16psi fuel pressure gauge pegged all the time. It's a nice system with a 4 year warranty.
I plumbed my truck with -06AN Aeroquip lines from the tank to the VP44 about 4 years ago and my pressure with stock lift pump is still 13psi. If (when) my stock lift pump dies, I'm getting the FASS. Apparently they just came out with a new quiet version of the pumps.

Webb- My CTD had 74,700 on it when the pump died on Friday morning.

Joe Dirt- DTT now has a 6 year warranty and a very nice quiet pump. I also went the route of the 95gph Full FASS II Setup; it pushes 13psi currently and should do 15-16 constant with a different spring. I'll know later in the week. I don't even hear it running unless I tune in the white noise that my ears normally don't hear. My truck however is louder than some: no carpet/vinyl floors, no muffer/straight piped, and a 24V with the shakes. The full system was an investment, I was up in the air about it...but decided to do it right the first time.

SC

Damn, that's not what I wanted to hear on the mileage. I'm pushing that real soon. I hear that it's big dollars to replace that thing too. Thanks for the info.

One other thing, I thought that would be covered under the 100,000 mile Cummins warranty if you only had 74,000 on the engine. No go from Dodge?

Be sure to check your fuel filter before you run out and spend large coin on a FASS system. I've found on mine I have to change the filter like every 10k miles or so to keep the pressure up to 12-14 psi. I converted mine to a Vulcan big line kit, it was cheap, relocates the lift pump on the frame rail and replaces the stock fuel lines with larger diameter ones. The other trick is to get a "campaign" pump from the cummins dealer. It's the same pump as the stock one but it only cost a little over $60. PM me for the part number if you are interested. Cummins knows there is a problem with the lift pumps but they keep it hush hush. They only offer the campaign pump to emergency vehicles and buses, unless you just ask for it by part number.

Webb- I didn't even contact the dealer. I've got a few things done to the motor that would, more than likely, void the warranty. Aftermarket turbo, injectors, Edge...to name a few. I just went ahead with the upgrade.

BIGWOODY- My fuel pump had also already been relocated to the frame and I was running larger than stock lines. I had also just recently (within the last 1000 miles) changed the fuel filter. Mine, like yours, enjoyed a new fuel filter and required it to keep it pumping at 12psi. I could have gone the route of the "campaign" pump but I opted to go ahead with the upgrade instead of going back to where the problem started.

SC

For the record...my 3 lift pump starting loosing pressure on sunday. I now have the FASS II. Got it from Olee @ powerbypoole.com. Couldnt be happier (well as long as it last).

If you are standing by the rear fender, you can hear the pump running if you know what you are looking for. Going down the road there is no way anyone could hear it over my exhaust, intake, or radio.

Now i just have to send in the paperwork to get the 6 year warranty in the system.

Seth

FASS definately way to go, I also had installed vulcan big line kit and installed aftermarket carter at frame rail, lasted 10K then fuel pressure dropped to 2 psi, Summit warranty got me a new one, but FASS is the ultimate answer

Back