231 doubler kit and install

upnover

Grumpy, decrepit Old Man
Has anyone here done this yet?

What I have so far:
231 case that has been split, cut, and piece welded in. (this does away with all the chain and front out put) with kit bolted up. I went ahead and upgraded to a 6 planetary gear set. Found it on E-bay for like $40 shipped(IIRC)

What I have yet to do(install)
Pull my stuff apart, mount 231 to T-176 adapter. Mount Dana 300 to the back of the 231.
I am gonna clock the 300 up, so along with making my shifters longer ( the 300 will be 8" further to the rear) I will have to do some bending to comply with the clocking.
make some linkage to work the 231
Shorten the rear drive shaft
lengthen the front drive shaft
make a mount for both the 231 and the 300
Make new skid

what this will net me is:
four ranges
1:1
2.72:1
4:1
6.72:1

I am currently at a 70:1 crawl ratio with my 4:1 in my Dana 300

Final crawl should be like 180-190:1

this should allow a little higher RPM's when crawling and a lot less stalling when I run RPM's low to go slower

Plan is to work on it this coming weekend with a good friend of mine. I will do my best to take some pics of the install

John told me you were doing this Chip, I've been anxiously awaiting some reports! I have been eyeing this kit for a long time now, finally have the money but the timing isn't too hot now that I'm back in school (not enough time to work on the rig)

Seems pretty straight forward.... been reading alot about it. With the kits people offer now (DD/Madrooster) its pretty much a bolt on and enjoy 4slow type of deal AFAIK.

Only things that have puzzled me have been the case mounting options. In reality I would think the 231 krawler box doesn't really need a mount. It is simply passing torque to the rear case. However, there is going to be alot more force on this set up than a single case, so a mount may indeed be needed. The 300 I suspect you could simply weld on tabs to the case, and use a bushing coming off a xmember.

I'm also curious how you do your shifters. For me, I need to stay DSD so its either gonna be 231/231 or 231/flipped 300. I'll most likely go 231/231 because I already have them. Just need to figure out some mounting options bc of the Alum. housings.

Good luck!! Take some pics for us :).

Don't weld tabs to a D300 case. Please don't do that. I think you meant to the steel bottom cover? Make a bracket that goes under some existing bolts because it is just helps, but doesnt hold all the weight. I would like to see the 231/flipped 300, but will the stock 231 hold the torque?

Austin
The reason I am gonna make a mount for both is simple. I have an adapter between my t case and tranny, so the length, and the fact that both the adapter and the crawl box are aluminum, I think I need to.

there's no success like excess!

Don't weld tabs to a D300 case. Please don't do that. I think you meant to the steel bottom cover? Make a bracket that goes under some existing bolts because it is just helps, but doesnt hold all the weight. I would like to see the 231/flipped 300, but will the stock 231 hold the torque?

I won't be fliping my 300, just clocking it, since I am PSD
The 300 will be stock location for the mount, difference being the mount will be solid under it, and have bushings out towards the frame for flex. The 231 will be mounted using mounting bolts

I upgraded the planetary gears to a later modle using 6

Ok John, let's get picky! LOL
But if you read what I wrote, I said range for the 1:1 - 6.72:1 and said my crawl would be 180-190:1

but anyway you say it, it will be a lot lower than what I have, and that's what I am wanting

Gotcha, I figured mounts would be necessary, I just can't picture them in my head really, esp. for two 231's.

Jdubb, the 231 crawler box should be fine. No chain just planetarys spinning. I'm concerned on the rear 231 case though. I would think for 4cyl rigs it would be perfect.

I have a 4.0ho and I plan on trying it very soon. I think it will be fine due to having so many lower gearing options. I would jump from 43:1 to 113:1. Having that gear would allow less throttle being easier on the rear chain. Reason I'm going this route is because I already have another case to use so if it can't handle the torque I'll probably replace with a 300 later on. Also, I don't have to fool with flipping the 300 right away.

I have a friend in Va who is running the 231/flipped dana 300 set up. He's having some shifter issues but his rig isn't completed yet so I'm waiting to see how it works out.

Ok John, let's get picky! LOL
But if you read what I wrote, I said range for the 1:1 - 6.72:1 and said my crawl would be 180-190:1
but anyway you say it, it will be a lot lower than what I have, and that's what I am wanting

The problem isn't in the wording, it's in the math. The 4:1 and 2.72:1 should be multiplied, not added. You are going to be SO happy you're not going to believe it. Can't wait to watch you crawl at Dixie!

Update:
Well the crawl box is in, and but one word! WOW!!!
It is slow.
Still have more to do. It's in, all bolted up. Clocked to where the 300 will still drain out the factory drain plug. Still have to make the linkage for both cases. May be able to modify the twins for the 300. Already shortened the rear shaft. Rear shaft had a bend in it from rocks past. Was able to cut out the bend, and sleeve it. Now it runs true. Lengthening the front should be pretty simple since it's made of Tractor PTO stuff. Good news is both front and rear will be same length, so only one spare will be needed.
Sorry no pics, forgot to take the camera.

Update:
It is slow.
Still have more to do. It's in, all bolted up. Clocked to where the 300 will still drain out the factory drain plug. Still have to make the linkage for both cases. May be able to modify the twins for the 300. Already shortened the rear shaft. Rear shaft had a bend in it from rocks past. Was able to cut out the bend, and sleeve it. Now it runs true. Lengthening the front should be pretty simple since it's made of Tractor PTO stuff. Good news is both front and rear will be same length, so only one spare will be needed.
Sorry no pics, forgot to take the camera.

Good to hear. Who cares about drainage though...clock it flat. There are always sidehills to park on.:flipoff2: How did you shorten the ds?

Good to hear. Who cares about drainage though...clock it flat. There are always sidehills to park on.:flipoff2: How did you shorten the ds?

Well, for all praticle purposes, it is as flat as I can go. any more and it hits the tub.
Rear DS was cut, and sleeved, front I have not got into yet.

Braxton, thanks for coming and helping out Friday night. You were a lot of help. After you left I was on it till 5:30 Sat Morning! LOL

Yeah that really got me thinking about doing it. It seams pretty easy to do. The problem I see is it is so long. In a YJ/TJ there wouldn't be much room for a rear DS unless you stretch the wheel base which I would assume someone doing this would most likely do. I was thinking about stretching the Xj wheel base next year and doing this then. Are you taking some pics for a future build thread?

haha yeah, and itd take alotta rememberin and digin through film to do a build thread on Chips CJ... although i remember he did have all the specs in an old Chit Chat thread...

Cant wait to see the doubler in use, and improving an already awesome rig

i saw you pulling your jeep down 40 today on my way back from seeing a customer in hickory, looked good.

haha yeah, and itd take alotta rememberin and digin through film to do a build thread on Chips CJ... although i remember he did have all the specs in an old Chit Chat thread...
Cant wait to see the doubler in use, and improving an already awesome rig

Yeah it's been a life long build it seems LOL

i saw you pulling your jeep down 40 today on my way back from seeing a customer in hickory, looked good.

Was on my way back from Taylorsville. The ol Heep got a new tone!

Looked decent I am sure, had one of it's few yearly baths before I took it to get the exhaust work done. At 70MPH going in opposite directions always helps! LOL

doubler shaft

I'm running a 231/300 doubler with the 300 flipped, but made my own doubler kit. I don't know of anyone that will sell just the inner shaft... I looked and they don't want to sell just the shaft. So I ended up making my own. Made one for a buddy running a 203/205 doubler a couple weeks later. But it's alot of work. I just used the stock shafts and turned them down and resplined them.

Attachments

• 1023091450.jpg
    1023091450.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 1,164
  • 1023090927a.jpg
    1023090927a.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 754
I'm running a 231/300 doubler with the 300 flipped, but made my own doubler kit. I don't know of anyone that will sell just the inner shaft... I looked and they don't want to sell just the shaft. So I ended up making my own. Made one for a buddy running a 203/205 doubler a couple weeks later. But it's alot of work. I just used the stock shafts and turned them down and resplined them.

you think you can make a nother one, im in dieing need of one for a 231/231 and if so how much would you charge to make one, i havent found anyone that will make me a shaft

Update:
It is slow.

YellowJeepCJ has a KluneV 4:1 box in front of the Dana 300 on his CJ7 and is running about 300:1 overall gearing. It is EXTREMELY slow. You can set the hand throttle and get out and walk circles around his jeep while it is in the extreme low range.

Back