22ft camper into jeep hauler build! Fuller style

Looking good dude. I would definitely add some legs to the rams. I had a camper trailer that bent while I was driving up on it. You want the support under the end of the trailer when loading.

Looking good dude. I would definitely add some legs to the rams. I had a camper trailer that bent while I was driving up on it. You want the support under the end of the trailer when loading.
Legs like I've seen on a lot of trailer ramps? If so, good idea! I will get some made

Legs like I've seen on a lot of trailer ramps? If so, good idea! I will get some made
Not on the ramps, on the sides of the dove tail. If the trailer frame is flexy, and the legs are on the ramps, when you transition from ramp to trailer the trailer will drop down.

Like this
20170406182737_20170406_121831.jpg

http://www.mjtrailers.com/images/trailers/58e68899a7f83/20170406182737_20170406_121831.jpg

Oh never seen that before but looks like good idea too, so I would buy 2 of them obviously
I looked back and saw your ramps are hinged, so you could do it either way. Build feet on ramps or jacks on end. If your ramps just drop into a track, it needs to done like I posted.

I looked back and saw your ramps are hinged, so you could do it either way. Build feet on ramps or jacks on end. If your ramps just drop into a track, it needs to done like I posted.
They're on a roller thing.. 5/16 Square tube with 3/4 solid rod inside. Solid rod mounted to 3/8 tabs on end rail which is also 5/16 5x5 angle so it seemed to be overkill but nontheless strong enough
So some legs on the ramps and I will be ok then? Ramps are stationary also not removal if that makes a difference. Thanks for your help (and others).

They work better on the trailer instead of the ramps. Funny stuff happens when the weight goes on the trailer. Here's a great video that shows why you need them and why they make more sense on the trailer.

They work better on the trailer instead of the ramps. Funny stuff happens when the weight goes on the trailer. Here's a great video that shows why you need them and why they make more sense on the trailer.
Looks like if they both were loading slower than they might have noticed before it was an issue.. or may not have went down that way, at least in the second. You watch the truck roll forward a foot.. I tend to put my towing vehicle in 4wd to load and unload to prevent rear axle unweighting from causing forward motion.

Ouch!

The guy with the dually would have been fine had he just loaded on flat ground.

The other guy should have just slowed down, but I also don't think that trailer had any business hauling a full sized truck on it to start with.

The guy with the dually would have been fine had he just loaded on flat ground.

The other guy should have just slowed down, but I also don't think that trailer had any business hauling a full sized truck on it to start with.

The first truck was heavily loaded with tires, meaning it was far too heavy for that trailer and the truck pulling it. As for why he didn't stop once the trailer started moving, I can't answer that one.

The second truck I assume wouldn't run, which is why they used the hill for momentum to load it. That video is a great example of why you should use a trailer mounted winch for loading non-operational vehicles.

Its possible that the truck in the first video couldn't stop. I'm guessing that old Chevy has drum rears, and the fronts weren't doing anything since they were on the trailer. So you had about 2000lbs of weight on those rear tires, and crappy old drum breaks that probably couldn't lock them up anyway. So 3000lbs on the front of the truck, plus 1500 for the trailer, plus another 5-6000 in the front truck. Nearly 10,000lbs pulling downhill, trying to stop with squarebody chevy 10 bolt rear drums...

@shawn that first video reminds me of loading the backhoe on your trailer.

The truck loaded with tires was a C20, if it matters :D

It's possible the F350 wouldn't run...it's a Ford after all! He could have slowed down though, damn.

Not bad. I'd use solid links to hold those ramps up rather than chain, though. The first bump you hit, you'll be making sparks going down the road. Or, possibly create one helluva road hazard for some unsuspecting car behind you.

Oh never seen that before but looks like good idea too, so I would buy 2 of them obviously
Is a great idea! My boss bought a 93 Cummins from a fella and it had a smashed cab and bed, he asked what happen and his brother had a tractor loading on a trailer it lifted rear up bc he forgot to put jacks down it rolled and jack knifed and killed him...
Its possible that the truck in the first video couldn't stop. I'm guessing that old Chevy has drum rears, and the fronts weren't doing anything since they were on the trailer. So you had about 2000lbs of weight on those rear tires, and crappy old drum breaks that probably couldn't lock them up anyway. So 3000lbs on the front of the truck, plus 1500 for the trailer, plus another 5-6000 in the front truck. Nearly 10,000lbs pulling downhill, trying to stop with squarebody chevy 10 bolt rear drums...
that poor truck prolly had factory brake shoes on it that had never been adjusted! Lol
My 79 12 bolt rear drums will lock up 35s no prob and shoes are shot on it!

Back