2023 Hot Rod Power Tour

I'm over here wondering two things. Why go to Sumter, SC from Columbia if you going to Rockingham...? Two. Why are you in Sumter, SC. Literally 20 min or less from the house. If you are there for any length of time go hit up Willy Sue's.
The route isn't necessarily the direct route. I had found the turn by turn directions at one point. It may have taken them that way.

Or, it could have just been a group that wasn't doing the long haul coming from somewhere else.

This is the turn by turn: (they also send out a link to to all participants so you can plug it into your GPS.) heard a few folks today grumbling that it is google based and didn’t mesh well with other gps apps. Also heard a bunch of grumbling today that Columbia and Rockingham weren’t run very well as opposed to other venues in previous years as to traffic flow/ parking/ etc.

I'm over here wondering two things. Why go to Sumter, SC from Columbia if you going to Rockingham...? Two. Why are you in Sumter, SC. Literally 20 min or less from the house. If you are there for any length of time go hit up Willy Sue's.

Main route took them up 378 today. I will if I get a chance. Down here for the rest of the week again to support the site we just opened today. I was here last week to QC and start the equipment. I’m a crappy friend as I usually roll into town and don’t say anything because inevitably have SHTF if I make plans outside of work 🤣🤣

Saw a bunch of the cars coming through Sumter SC this morning en route to The Rock. Awesome cars. However the group of drivers I encountered were a bunch of blue hair shitbirds cutting off multiple lanes of traffic just to be able to pull into a gas station together.
not that it excuses shitbaggery- but a possible explanation. In the early years it was essentially a 1,000 mile parade. Towns would bid to have hrpt come through the town and the revenue that meant. It was just expected to be like a funeral procession or parade. The last 5 or so years it’s fallen out of vogue so much that many towns don’t even know they are on the route.

I remember rolling through no where Indiana and the town having a 90drgree right at town square. Cops were parked blocking the feeds and the right turn became a burnout competition. The cops would bump the whalers on a 1-5 star rating system depending on quality of burnout

Last edited:
They have a mapped route. Usually taking lots of scenic routes. This tour seems more compact than prior years as far as not spanning many states. So they probably looped them around quite a bit.

They have a mapped route. Usually taking lots of scenic routes. This tour seems more compact than prior years as far as not spanning many states. So they probably looped them around quite a bit.
Oh ok. I can see that. When I saw they were in Columbia then Rockingham I figured they would take US1 up. I know nothing about this so thanks for the info.

not that it excuses shitbaggery- but a possible explanation. In the early years it was essentially a 1,000 mile parade. Towns would bid to have hrpt come through the town and the revenue that meant. It was just expected to be like a funeral procession or parade. The last 5 or donuts fallen out of vogue so much that many towns don’t even know they are on the route.

I remember rolling through no where Indiana and the town having a 90drgree right at town square. Cops were parked blocking the feeds and the right turn became a burnout competition. The cops would bump the whalers on a 1-5 star rating system depending on quality of burnout

Town of Robbins put this on facebook....

Screenshot_20230615_092045_Chrome.jpg

Talked my dad into going & we debated taking the C30, but decided against needing dentist & chiropractor appointments next week! Met @Silverado_Express , Vice Grip Garage, Junkyard Digs & Isaac it'll be fine. We walked the parking lots for ~4 hours and probably only saw about half of everything there! Tried getting Jessica (Mrs. VGG) to talk my dad into bringing his '70 Vette out of storage, but she didn't have any luck. Only took a couple of pics since we were trying to see as much as possible:

HRPT '23 VGG.jpeg HRPT '23 sticker.jpeg

Back