2015 cummins rotten egg smell

adam greene

Truck has a little over 6k miles on it. I've smelled it in the past and always thought it was another car. I've been driving it while on vacation and it's been bad get a whiff of it driving and while stopped at a light. What could it be?

I always thought it was a gas car in front of me with a converter problem but after being in the truck 6 hrs traveling I don't think it's other cars. Gonna check batteries tommorow and see if I can tell they've been overcharged

Truck has a little over 6k miles on it. I've smelled it in the past and always thought it was another car. I've been driving it while on vacation and it's been bad get a whiff of it driving and while stopped at a light. What could it be?
^ did a camo'd out XJ pull up beside ya with grooved turdbirds? It might've been the thoughts of the driver that you smelled

I used notice this with fresh oil change in my 98 Cummins and the 01 I had before that. I always thought it was sulfur in the Rotella. Dunno if I just got used to it, or it went away when they reformulated it with the introduction of ULSD in 2007 (wow...thats a long time ago!)

I heard of oil kinda smelling like that after a oil change but it's still on factory oil. wife has been against me deleting it but she said the smell has to go so I'm hoping it's the egr lol

My 15 has a sweet smell from the exhaust occasionally. I'm thinking it's the DEF being injected and burned.
Never heard of a diesel having a rotten Egg smell from a combustion process...

I'd delete it anyway. Fuel mileage will go up a bunch.

All that money saved on fuel will be handy when his engine, emissions and possibly powertrain warranties are voided.

I'm not the fun police by any stretch, but part of the reason to own a vehicle under warranty, is actually having that warranty in effect.

I forgot about the 2015 model part. My buddy's has no warranty anymore, so it didn't matter. Made a gigantic difference. But I'm sure this is not news to anyone on this board. We all know they restrict them like crazy now...

A little birdy told me the other day that his brand-new 4x4 6spd Dodge is doing 21 on the highway. That's better than my 03.

I was under the impression that all the big 3 DPF trucks got 15-17mpg. Maybe it's just all the hype to delete them.
Personally, I'd still delete them after warranty cause I like the way it sounds. Just my opinion, but your talking to a guy who doesn't own a truck at all at the moment and should really just stay out of truck conversations, but I live vicariously thru others trucks until I get my own I reckon...

But to the OP, since you still have warranty, I'd be at the dealer like, "hey how bout you fix this stank smell from this thing"

Edit: A quick google brings up many other threads on this topic. Quite common.

Deleted my 4th gen when it only had 18 miles on it. But I was fine voiding all the warranties.

There is no way in hell I'd delete a 2015 with whats been on the docket in the general assemblies of NC and SC the past few months.

As federal funding dollars start to be tied to emission standards....confiscation becomes a conversation piece.

My new 16 powerstroke gets 16-17.5 mixed driving so far with only 2500 miles on it. Straight highway I'm getting 20.5. This rigs staying stock and not just for warranty. It gets better milage and more power than my old 6.0 anyway.

My new 16 powerstroke gets 16-17.5 mixed driving so far with only 2500 miles on it. Straight highway I'm getting 20.5. This rigs staying stock and not just for warranty. It gets better milage and more power than my old 6.0 anyway.

I've driven a bone stock 350 and was blown away by how much power the 6.7 had. I never did get into it all the way, it would just start blowing the tires off like it was on ice or something.

Should probably start a new thread for this, but I have been hearing of it getting much stricter on emissions. Wonder when it will happen and what will happen to folks who have already done it.

I've driven a bone stock 350 and was blown away by how much power the 6.7 had. I never did get into it all the way, it would just start blowing the tires off like it was on ice or something.

Should probably start a new thread for this, but I have been hearing of it getting much stricter on emissions. Wonder when it will happen and what will happen to folks who have already done it.
I've been hearing they're gonna test diesels soon for five years so I don't know if anything will ever come of it. At best deleted trucks just won't pass inspection so they'd have to be put back stock to register or find an inspector that'll turn a blind eye. If you were to get pulled deleted best case you can get a fix it ticket. Worse case epa comes knocking wanting their huge fine. It's way up in the thousands.

This new truck will run circles around my old deleted and tuned 6.0 so I see no need to modify it. You almost have to engage the electric locker in the rain with no load.

I've been hearing they're gonna test diesels soon for five years so I don't know if anything will ever come of it. At best deleted trucks just won't pass inspection so they'd have to be put back stock to register or find an inspector that'll turn a blind eye. If you were to get pulled deleted best case you can get a fix it ticket. Worse case epa comes knocking wanting their huge fine. It's way up in the thousands.

This new truck will run circles around my old deleted and tuned 6.0 so I see no need to modify it. You almost have to engage the electric locker in the rain with no load.

For clarification, modifying the exhaust system of a NSPS (New Source Performance Standard) engine is a FEDERAL CRIME. Fines are 6 figure for first offense AND jail time.

There is much federal debate right now if light duty diesel pick ups are covered by NSPS regulations.
The EPA recently hired 200 inspectors to start chasing industrial emissions fines for a revenue generation stream, I can promise you 3 NC companies have been fined in the past ~90 days.

I will repeat, as someone who has made their living in the diesel engine world for over a decade and is heavily tuned in to compliance talks, there is NO WAY in hell I'd delete a 2015 vehicle. I might even hesitate to drive a friend's unless he was in the cab with me.....

(For anyone wondering what NSPS means and its relevancy CFR 40 C 63)
Subsection zzzz consumes ~20 hours a week for me in education and compliance verification

Back