2007 2500 hemi to 12 or 24v swap

adam greene

Anyone ever done this swap? Will the hemi trans work? Any shops out there good with doing these swaps and getting gauges and all working and a round about cost?

You'd be money ahead to buy a different truck. Registration and inspection could/would be a bit of a bear as well. The bellhousings are different between the gas engines and the Cummins. The converter would likely be different too. Then you have all of the computer(s) and wiring, fuel system, radiator, intercooler, exhaust, and the front springs are probably different as well.

The cost of an 07 or newer Cummins would be enough to make me steer clear of it to begin with.

You'd be money ahead to buy a different truck. Registration and inspection could/would be a bit of a bear as well. The bellhousings are different between the gas engines and the Cummins. The converter would likely be different too. Then you have all of the computer(s) and wiring, fuel system, radiator, intercooler, exhaust, and the front springs are probably different as well.

The cost of an 07 or newer Cummins would be enough to make me steer clear of it to begin with.
I couldn't agree more.

A 07 cummins would be at least 27-30 grand if I could do the swap for 5k or so I'd be 15 grand to the good
Maybe so but the time involved plus the list of little headaches that come with a project like that just isn't worth it in my opinion. Not saying there's anything wrong with doing it, just wouldn't be my choice.

Has it been done? Yes. In fact there was a guy that did it with a power wagon. It was not cheap, but he got it to work and work correctly with no CELs. The automatics are different, in 2007 the hemis use 545rfe and diesels use the 68rfe. If you had started with a manual, it would have been easier as both used the g56 and as far as I know there was only one bell housing pattern. Can you do it for 5k? Sure but you would have to really find a good deal and do everything yourself.

Haha that's a good question just depends on if someone offers me money, I wanna get something I really want so I'll keep it for a lil while

I think @Croatan_Kid was referring to a common law stating if you swap in a motor it must be from the model year or newer of the vehicle it is being swapped in to. I cannot recall if NC has such a law or not, but being a truck less than 10 years old with a swap from gas to diesel will probably raise some flags at the inspection station.

Duane

Yep, NC has that law. It wasn't a problem when I did my swap since my truck was so old.

A 07 cummins would be at least 27-30 grand if I could do the swap for 5k or so I'd be 15 grand to the good

Goooooood luck doing that complete job for anywhere near 5,000. I'd be surprised if just the motor itself wasn't at least 4,000-5,000. I probably spent 7,500-8,500 or more getting mine running and driving and it's only got 4 wires in the whole setup.

It could certainly be done, but it would hurt my feelings to tear apart such a new truck. The only reason I even swapped a Cummins in my K30 is because GM didn't offer a diesel with enough power and the truck was cheap. If I were a Dodge guy, I would have just picked up a First Gen truck and been done with it :D

It's down to a registration problem at that point. Diesel to diesel isn't as big of a deal and on my registration, they just changed the displacement in the computer to 5.9 from 6.2...they probably didn't even "need" to do that. However, when you roll up with a diesel truck that was gas, it will usually raise some flags. You're supposed to start at the DMV and have them inspect it and then they'll change the information in the computer database. That should avoid any future problems. With that being said, an inspection at the DMV is probably subject to a visual check and they could/would fail it for missing or inoperable emissions equipment even though the truck itself isn't subject during a yearly NC State Inspection.

It being a 2500 isn't what excludes it from emissions testing, it's most likely due the the GVRW being higher than 8600. Of course, that's helpful to you in this situation, but that's about the only break you'll catch.

Regardless of year of the vehicle, the motor is still supposed to be as new or newer than the vehicle it goes in to. I guess they figure, if nothing else, it will at least adhere to emission standards that are up to snuff, if not better. They're kinda picky about that stuff, but if it looks like it's there and working.... :huggy:

Just be glad we're not in Commi-fornia. They flat out wouldn't let you do this swap and if you did, it'd probably be some kind of felony for tampering or some tree hugger crap like that :rolleyes:

Oh, on the gauges, you could keep an eye out for a wrecked truck and snag the cluster out of it or perhaps they're not terribly expensive and you could just pick up a new one. There's more than likely a huge wiring harness between the gauge cluster and the engine though and I can only imagine that they'd be different, but maybe not. I'm also not sure that the wiring harnesses for the transmissions would be the same either. There may also be an issue with the input on the transfer case. I know in earlier generations, Dodge diesel trucks used a 29 spline input whereas the gassers used a 23 spline. Do they still do that? I'm not sure, but it would definitely be something to check.

Last edited:
And from what the dmv man told me was you has to have the emission items that where factory for the truck and the donor motor also....

Back