2006 F-250 6.0 no start when hot

Baker

my buddy has a 2006 f-250 6.0 and it starts up fine when its cold and runs fine but once it comes up to temp if he shuts it off it will turn over but wont start. He recently replaced the IPR sensor, oil rail plugs, and the HPOP with the updated STC fitting. The only modifications he has is a 4" in turbo back exhaust, and the truck only has 97,xxx miles on it. Our ship is getting ready to move from virginia to florida and he needs to be able to drive his truck to florida so if anybody can help us out it would be greatly appreciated. you can email me at dereck.baker@pc14.navy.mil thanks in advance.
Dereck

Unlikely its the ficm but its possible. 99% of the time a warm/hot no start/hard start condition is due to a high pressure oil leak somewhere in the system. Since its an 06 it has an stc fitting on the high pressure oil pump, which are known to leak. There is an updated piece for that.

Get ahold of a monitor of some sort and check the ICP, injection control pressure, when cranking. It has to be upwards of 350-400psi to crank, 585 to idle.

06 also has an Icp sensor in the front of the passenger valve cover which is known to rupture and leak causing the sensor to go bad. However if you unplug it, wire is on the top and easy to get to, it goes to 85% open by default. That will sometimes cause a hard warm start but usually not a no start condition.

EDIT-I should read completely before posting. Lol

Disregard my precious posting, but its great knowledge to have for anyone that owns a 04.5+ 6 liter so I'll leave it in case someone searches this issue here in the future.

Odds are he just has a high pressure oil leak from something not going back together just right. The dummy plugs & standpipes are known to cut the orings when you put them in sometimes.

A good way to get a good idea of where the leak is, is by pressurizing the hpo system with air. If the leaks bad enough to cause a no start condition, its bad enough to hear air through.

Feel free to pm me if you need anymore help.

Back