2004 F-350 tranny question?

Mtn Goat

Got a 2004 F-350 Dually with a 5 speed auto trans and it is starting to give me a vibration at low speed (35-50 mph) in overdrive only but it immediately goes away when I let off the throttle and sometimes will come bright back and sometimes it will not when the throttle is pressed again! I am guessing it could be the tranny but I am not sure? I noticed a skipping type of issue the last time I hauled mine and Steve's jeep to from Moab year before last. When cruising in overdrive at the beginning of any type of incline it would skip a couple of times and puff out some black smoke but would go away when press the throttle to shift or let off? This issues seems to have gotten worse right about the time the starting issues started and seemed to get worse as the starting issue got worse? After the starting issue was fixed I thought that it may have went away with it but it has not and not sure where to look. I will be changing the tranny fluid and filter but after that not sure where to look does anybody got any ideas???

If I didnt like punishment so much I probably would go to the dark side...I mean Dodge, lol. This is only the third issue that i have had out of the last two Fords diesels that i have had combined since 1999 so that aint too bad. Still haven't gotten much of an answer but still looking, thanks!

I had a similar issue with my 6.0 Liter but I can't remember what it was. I know it was not transmission related but like you I thought it was. Seams like it was an inexpensive fix ($500 or less). My 2003 6.0 has 300K on it now.

Thanks guys for the info! I changed the tranny oil and it seems a bit better but not completely gone! Will follow up with the Brians and see if we can find the issue hopefully it is a sensor or something that is plug & play!

Back