2002 TuRD

I should finally have this thing back on the road. Air bumps are done and charged up, just need to slap some tires on it and see if I fixed the leak.
Driver's side
IMG_20231006_224448629.jpg

IMG_20231007_003810234.jpg

IMG_20231007_131042008.jpg

Pax side.

Next up is a square front shaft this week and I'll be ready to wheel at the end of the month!!

Just got back from wheeling Hawk Pride. Badass weekend of wheeling, truck did fine, only "issue" was I blew the alt-s fuse randomly dropping hard off a ledge. I busted out a tail light on a rock repositioning the truck to get my seat belt to lock so that was dumb lol! I really need to push the front axle forward and get it off the bumps. The rear rides awesome, where the front just pogos off the bumps as I am sitting on them. Also got to play with the trail welder twice, not on my own truck, so good weekend overall!
compressed_1698676110101.jpg

compressed_1698676152221.jpg

IMG_20231028_150416813.jpg

IMG_20231028_133833108.jpg

IMG_20231028_132515494_HDR.jpg

IMG_20231028_124412209.jpg

IMG_20231028_112920743_HDR.jpg

IMG_20231028_120122250_HDR.jpg

IMG_20231028_134101403_HDR.jpg

IMG_20231028_112825534.jpg

IMG_20231029_152312115.jpg

The trucks overall dialed and I love it! It goes almost anywhere I point it and does 80mph to and from the trails with the AC cranked and cruise control on and all my shit piled in it.

Last edited:
I have been kicking around building an exo cage or re doing the front suspension this winter. Considering my steering sucks, 2 of my 4 TRE are seized in their respective rods, and I have zero up travel and it rides like shit I may do that fab work and find a place to farm out the cage to. What's the new hotness these days for SOA leafs? I prefer to get away from Toyota leafs as they are $$$ and hard to find. I'm currently running some fj62 rears up front, and they work fine, but I'm thinking of swapping over to a yj leaf for easier to find options

I busted out a tail light on a rock repositioning the truck to get my seat belt to lock so that was dumb lol!

Them damn things are hateful! We both fought with them at GER. Sounds like seats and harnesses need to be in the winter plans too haha.

Duane

Them damn things are hateful! We both fought with them at GER. Sounds like seats and harnesses need to be in the winter plans too haha.

Duane
It was of course going down the obstacle in my above pics with the blue Tacoma lifting a tire. I don't think I ended up lifting one, but wanted to be buckled in. I need to see if I can buy those clips they have on semi seat belts to keep the shoulder strap loose.

Slight rambling post as I'm bored on work calls and chomping at the bit to start cutting and wrenching on this thing. The TLDR: wheeling was awesome this year, however I need to understand F some stuff on the front end and this is my plan.

So I have wheeled the more in 3yrs than I have in almost all the years combined up to this point, truck has worked out awesome. The issue is I made some major rookie mistakes when I did the solid axle swap on this thing in 2016. For those of you who haven't wheeled with me and hear this breakdown in person, here it goes. When I chopped (literally) the front end off one evening I did the smart thing and marked off on the fender the center line of the axle when it wad IFS. Now I did a dumb thing which is 6months later, landed the solid axle right in that same spot. So I have right around 2" of uptravel before the tie rod hits the oil pan, and it rides on the air bumps. So that means it rides like shit on the street and anything above a walking pace on the trail also sucks. So I need to fix that, I also went with a big ass Ford box to avoid having hydro assist, well it's like 80% of hydro assist offroad, added bonus it over heats easily as it's like 1" from the manifold so it's gets heat soaked really bad. So the plan is:
Push the front axle forward to get uptravel
Notch the frame on the pax side
IFS box and hydro assist
Bunch of bling shit from radial dynamics
Re do my air bump situation
Fifth stud mod
Fix anything that I find that is broken.

Now normally I LOATHE fabricating, it's a necessary evil of the hobby for me, but I'm a actually excited to un F some stuff that needs to be un F'd. My wife doesn't wheel me because she has a bad back and the truck rides pretty bad, so that means I usually have someone riding shotty annoying me, or even worse making me try dumb stuff, instead of watching her bewbers bounce around. Also I'm getting older and the ride is annoying me. I'm also excited as I get to see how my hack fab has held up and pull the front axle apart to see how my combo of new RCVs, a used bobby long inner shaft, and a used trail gear chromo inner shaft is holding up. Now you may ask "slander why not link it??" Well because I don't want to and I'm cheap. I need a cage on this thing BAD and the truck as is gets.me into dumb enough situations on leafs, links will only make that worse. So this then cage. Onto some pics:
I have no idea why I did this with the rear shackle hangar, I plan of flipping that around 180* and that will move the front axle forward 4.5". I assume I'm going to find out why I did that after I get balls deep into this.
IMG_20231214_164424369.jpg

I hated installing this Ford box, I hated.making the mount for it, I hated building around it and it constantly overheating, but damn did it steer nice on the street LOL!! So this big bastard is going bye bye. I'm also going to chain the motor mount while I'm back there as shifters flopping around inside the cab gets old.
IMG_20231214_164440039.jpg

Side view of the front axle, she's too far back
IMG_20231214_164512106.jpg

The bad part about this from a pocket book perspective is the axle in the wrong spot was keeping me on a max tire size of 37s, well moving it will probably change that! :D

So this will go up on jackstands tomorrow!!! Can't wait to rip into this thing!!

Last edited:
I know nothing about Toyotas, but can the oil pan be modified to provide more room for axle up travel? How far forward do you have to move the front axle to get it 'out from under' the oil pan?

I know nothing about Toyotas, but can the oil pan be modified to provide more room for axle up travel? How far forward do you have to move the front axle to get it 'out from under' the oil pan?
I modded it as much as I could when I did the initial swap. Right around 4" would get me in a good spot uptravel wise!

4 inches shouldn’t be too bad. Are you going to keep the leaf springs or link the front?

4 inches shouldn’t be too bad. Are you going to keep the leaf springs or link the front?
Yea it's basically cutting the leaf hangar off and spinning it around and that gives me 4.5" right there. Leafs for another season or two. They work, and I already have them. After wheeling with a few other full bodied toyotas, also on 37s, that were linked the performance didn't look that much different than what I have now. Granted they could bomb down the trail quicker, but whatever.

Plus I want to get this thing back on the trail as quickly as possible. A lot of the work I'm doing now will set me up for a faster link swap when the time comes.

Yea it's basically cutting the leaf hangar off and spinning it around and that gives me 4.5" right there. Leafs for another season or two. They work, and I already have them. After wheeling with a few other full bodied toyotas, also on 37s, that were linked the performance didn't look that much different than what I have now. Granted they could bomb down the trail quicker, but whatever.

Plus I want to get this thing back on the trail as quickly as possible. A lot of the work I'm doing now will set me up for a faster link swap when the time comes.
Friend had a SAS 4runner that was leafs and it was unstoppable

Why not reverse shackle for clearance why your changing things

Why not reverse shackle for clearance why your changing things
Not a fan of shackle reversal. Changing things because I landed the axle too far aft and I'm sick of riding on the bumps.

Last edited:
Played in the garage tonight:
IMG_20231215_201007363.jpg

Bye bye big ass Ford box:
IMG_20231215_210437770.jpg

I called it quits when I got it to the point of cutting mounts off and welding stuff back on. I'll do that later in the weekend, I instead laid under it with a flashlight looking for anything that needs to be repaired, and outside of the driver's side frame rail being bent down from what I believe was the same winching on white tail crawl that bent my rear frame horribly bad a few years back, everything looks good. I did boring stuff like take measurements to get ready to start reassembling stuff.

Last edited:
Got out in the garage today, spent most of the day showering myself in sparks and grinding disc pieces. The other half of the day was measuring stuff, I actually made a jig so the front suspension hangars are actually square this time! Probably one more crap 6hr day of cutting stuff off and grinding left then some real progress will start getting made. I really need to buy a damn plasma cutter.
Driverside shock mount and bump can gone, I way overkilled that install and paid for it today lol!
IMG_20231226_142542088.jpg

IMG_20231226_164642200.jpg

Jig for the leaf hangars, actually got it centered under the truck so that's awesome!

Need to order some parts from Barnes then some radial dynamics and psc goodies for the steering!! Waiting on a flat pitman arm and some other stuff from sky's that should be showing up this week.

Didn't get as far as I wanted to tonight, but getting closer. Swung the axle under the truck, not without some drama first:
PXL_20240106_022814905.jpg

:laughing:

Realized one of my leaf mounts is angled outward so I need to fix that. So I gained uptravel at the oil pan, however the damn drag link is now going to not play nice with the AC idler pulley. So I need to find a solution for that problem that does not involve full hydro steering or ditch the AC.
1000001409.jpg

I stopped before fully welding the shackle and spring mounts. Flux core welding in a garage with the doors and windows shut sucks and it's too cold to open them, so I'll mess with that later this weekend during the day. Should start going quick after I get those burned in. I found a front wheel bearing that feels like it has gravel in it, weird because they ran cool and didn't make any noise.

Last edited:
Didn't get as far as I wanted to tonight, but getting closer. Swung the axle under the truck, not without some drama first:
View attachment 410052
:laughing:

Realized one of my leaf mounts is angle outward so I need to fix that. So I gained uptravel at the oil pan, however the damn drag link is now going to not play nice with the AC idler pulley. So I need to find a solution for that problem that does not involve full hydro steering or ditch the AC.
View attachment 410053

I stopped before fully welding the shackle and spring mounts. Flux core welding in a garage with the doors and windows shut sucks and it's too cold to open them, so I'll mess with that later this weekend during the day. Should start going quick after I get those burned in. I found a front wheel bearing that feels like it has gravel in it, weird because they ran cool and didn't make any noise.
Get you a gas setup for welding. Worth every penny. Your rig might be capable of it already

Get you a gas setup for welding. Worth every penny. Your rig might be capable of it already
I'm building a leaf spring Toyota in 2024, I don't need no fancy tools like "gas for my welder" :laughing:

I have a Hobart 140 so yea I can run gas in it if I wanted

I'm building a leaf spring Toyota in 2024, I don't need no fancy tools like "gas for my welder" :laughing:

I have a Hobart 140 so yea I can run gas in it if I wanted
Your better going flux core for several reasons in that size..but I'll keep it out of the "science of metals thread".

Burned in the hangars and shackle mounts tonight. Getting ready to actually start bolting stuff back on this thing. Need to figure out what I'm going to do with the drag link hitting the AC idler pulley. A member on another forum recommended a stretch belts, so I may try that and trim the bracket. Next big hurdle is mounting the steering box after I swing the axle under and it SHOULD be down hill aside from messing with the hydro assist.

Did some wrenching tonight and swung the axle under the truck to flex it out and see what hits what.
1000001623.jpg

1000001629.jpg

So the draglink looks like it's going to kiss the AC idler pulley in certain situations. I still think I'm going to ditch that idler and replace it with a stretch belt and cut the bottom of the bracket off and never have to worry about it again.

Next up I stripped the axle down, pax side wheel bearing was CRUNCHY
1000001641.jpg

1000001640.jpg

The RCV looked good and no leaking inner axle seals, that's a miracle as I built this axle not using a true bar and have no idea wtf I was doing in 2016.

Shackle angle looks good, just like before
1000001652.jpg

Had it back sitting on jackstands on the axle which is nice:
1000001633.jpg

I had to slap the tires on it just to see again, it's been sitting for too long without a front axle under it.
1000001639.jpg

1000001638.jpg

So next up I have to do the 5th stud mod, clearance the knuckles some more in hopes of getting some steering angle back (only has 4.5" of total steering throw), notch the frame on both sides for steering clearance, and mount the steering box. Once that damn steering box is on, I will be over a major mental hurdle. I hated doing that with the previous box and I'm all in my head about it.

Back