2000s model Bear Tracker 250 issues

jsn

Hey guys, I'm not big on fixing small engines, I have minimal experience. I was wondering if someone could give me some pointers for fixing a Yamaha Beartracker 250.

It seems like it isn't getting a spark, I tried testing by using a screwdriver against the frame, and nothing happened.

All the wires to ignition coil are good. I've tried spraying carbeurator starter fluid in airbox, it starts once in a blue moon but then it just dies down.

I'm at my wit's end and this project is turning out to be a nightmare.

I've taken the carb off and cleaned it and bought a new needle assembly.

If you have no spark or very intermittent spark you need to ensure there is power going to the coil if not it is probably the cdi box there is a way to test that but I do not have the ohms specs as I'm out of town bit you may find it online just from experience that is likely your problem

i had the same problem out of my bear tracker years ago in high school. I had sunk it in the swamp and it ran fine for a day but it had burnt up the cdi box. Had to take it to yamaha stealrship to get it fixed and diagnosed.. may be the same prob. on yours but be prepared, the part alone was somewhere around $300 and that was ten years ago... mine was a 2001.

Back