2000 PSD "Coal Roller"

Its funny you all say that about the compressor wheel, at high rpm's when shifting into overdrive it has what sounds like compressor surge, or a whipperwill kind of noise. I thought about putting a wicked wheel in it.

Back to the chip...After plugging the chip back in and driving around town for about 20 min, I hit the interstate to head to the charlotte auto fair. After about 15 min. of driving, I was merging onto 85 from 77 and the truck just freakin died. No warning, no spitting or spuddering, just dead with a service engine soon light on. I coasted over into the grass and tried to start it again. No "wait to start" light would come on and it never would fire. I pulled the chip out of the ECM and it started right up and ran fine all the way to concord and back. Now ofcourse, it feels like its dragging a boat anchor down the road compared to when the chip was in it. Do these chips not like to be pulled out and reinserted? I'm planning on pulling the ecm apart today and cleaning the contacts where the chip plug into and trying it again.

I'll bet the contacts on the chip/ECU arent making a good connection, ran into that putting a couple ATS chips on some strokes back in the day

Today i pulled the ECM out and cleaned the contacts good. They were really bad. dabed on some electronic grease and put it all back in. Fired up perfect. I'll spend some time on the road today and make sure it doesn't die again like the other day. I'll be towing the 32 footer again on tuesday so I really wanted the extra power the chip was giving. If it happens again i'll probably end up with a programer of some sort.

On the down side, having this chip plugged in has really turned me into a jerk on the road. Now whenever someone cutts me off or slams on their brakes to make a turn or lane change I find myself romping on it good enough to pretty much fill their car, or atleast viewing area full of black soot. I really need to cut that out.

On the down side, having this chip plugged in has really turned me into a jerk on the road. Now whenever someone cutts me off or slams on their brakes to make a turn or lane change I find myself romping on it good enough to pretty much fill their car, or atleast viewing area full of black soot. I really need to cut that out.

dont 'fuel' the anti-diesel fire with driving habits like that - just add more air and wala- more power with less smoke

How can I add more air? I would much rather it not put out any smoke at all like when the chip isnt installed but I love the power when it is in.

Its funny you all say that about the compressor wheel, at high rpm's when shifting into overdrive it has what sounds like compressor surge, or a whipperwill kind of noise. I thought about putting a wicked wheel in it.
The wheel is suppose to take care of most of the surge.Be sure and check the bolts holding the turbo together,they are known for coming loose/fallin out.My 01 has one bolt holding the turbo together.Once I put new bolts in and had everything back tight my surge went away.Also check the donut gaskets on the up pipes,mine were blown and was letting the exhaust out before the turbo.
That pisses me off beyond belief,they'll do it around here just cause they can.They're bad about doin it at the rod runs when your sittin in traffic with your window down.
GET RID OF THE K&N!!!!!!!! It will eat your compressor wheel! One of the worst thing for anything with a turbo.
Get an AFE Pro Guard 7 filter. One of the better ones out there.
Also if your lookin for more info browse powerstroke.org
Not sure which filter this is but alot of the guys on the PS boards are usin a semi filter and makin a DIY intake.The part # for the filter is Napa FIL 6637 or Wix 46637

Lucas out at L&N/Mystery Hill in Blowing Rock recently put the Wicked Wheel and bellowed uppipe kit in my 2002 7.3 and it made a world of difference. Quicker spool and no surge. I can run up 421 from Wilkes to Boone in 6th gear empty and no flutter. Or from Lenoir to Boone on 321 same deal. Before I had to let out from the excessive boost leaks making the surge worse.

Lucas out at L&N/Mystery Hill in Blowing Rock recently put the Wicked Wheel and bellowed uppipe kit in my 2002 7.3 and it made a world of difference. Quicker spool and no surge. I can run up 421 from Wilkes to Boone in 6th gear empty and no flutter. Or from Lenoir to Boone on 321 same deal. Before I had to let out from the excessive boost leaks making the surge worse.
Yeah I wanted to put bellowed on mine just didnt have the cabbage to do it.

not relevent really but i think there are factory freak 7.3's, my dad has a 1999 250 he got it brand new and its now my work truck all it has is an afe intake and 4" straight pipe it runs like scalded dog its faster than his 6.4 truck with a mbrp dunno why but it just is, and it get almost 25mpg on the highway

Back