2000 PSD "Coal Roller"

99ncxj

We recently picked up yet another 7.3L Powerstroke for the buisness. This one is a 2000 F350 DRW, Crew cab Lariat. Other than a K&N filter and 5" exhaust with muffler it appears to be bone stock. However, when driving it, its got tons of more power than our other 7.3's and gets much better fuel milage. (18 city, 25 hwy) and got 14mpg towing a 32' enclosed trailer (about 14,000lbs) up the mountains to Virginia. It smokes like a freight train when in the mid to high range "lugging" power or when you punch it around town. It acts like its got a programer of some sort in it but can't find one and the PO said it didn't have one. Whats the deal? Its a freakin rocket with a 007 smoke screen option.

Pics? of the truck? Its just a crew cab dually.

ai190.photobucket.com_albums_z249_99ncxj_F350_photo3.jpg

ai190.photobucket.com_albums_z249_99ncxj_F350_photo1.jpg

Injectors?

I didn't realize that programers were removed after the programing. Thats good to know. Today I found what looks like an added ground wire coming out of the ECM that has been added. Tomorrow i'll pull the ECM cover and see if its got something plugged in like a chip or something.

There are certain year 7.3 powerstrokes that people are doing a homebrew ecm mod that will throw more fuel to the injectors. Something about adding a resistor or something in the right place. Now im not sure what years this can be done on but it may be something that applies to your year and could be done. Maybe someone that knows a little more about powerjokes will chime in on that.

A lot of people will do the 10K mod. Thats adding a 10,000 ohm resistor inline between the ICP sensor and PCM. That will make the PCM think its low on oil pressure and raise it. Also on the OBS trucks they will remove the IDM and install a resistor to raise injector voltage from 120V to 140V.

I found something plugged into the ECM

Its a little circuit board about 2" by 2" and says BullyDog Technologies Rev. 2 1/01 KK
the sticker on the back says NVK4B75 It also has a round sticker that says 4 bank X14

I'm trying to look it up and see what exactly it is, so who wants to make my search easier?

Bullydog technologies makes a 6 position 4 bank chip that plugs into the ecm but it comes with a turn knob for adjustment that should be mounted somewhere on the dash. If not look under the dash and see if its hiding. I think that is like a 120hp chip on its highest setting. Iirc they run about $400 new. Not sure but that sounds like what you have.

After doing some reading, it looks like there should be a 6 position switch somewhere in the truck. Going out to look for it now.

Cant find a knob anywhere. Where does it plug into? Did they make these chips without the knob option?

It You be run into the cab an no the knob has a 1-6 settings that you turn it to. I would say follow the wires an see where they lead may there tied up an the knob cut off an its just the wires laying under the dash.

Where it goes all the way back to the ecm or the programmer box if there is one. Trace the wires from the engine compartment an see where they end up or stop at.

from what i've been reading, this is an old single position chip that doesn't have a knob. I'm going to call bullydog tomorrow and confirm.

Called them today and really didn't get much help. He did tell me that it was an older model that they don't sell anymore but he couldn't tell me anything at all about it. I guess once they quit making something they just forget everything there is to know about it. He even tried to tell me that because of the age, it might not even work! Looks like when its time to go with a programer I'll be looking elsewhere. A company who actually has decent customer service.

GET RID OF THE K&N!!!!!!!! It will eat your compressor wheel! One of the worst thing for anything with a turbo.

Get an AFE Pro Guard 7 filter. One of the better ones out there.

Also if your lookin for more info browse powerstroke.org

GET RID OF THE K&N!!!!!!!! It will eat your compressor wheel! One of the worst thing for anything with a turbo.

Get an AFE Pro Guard 7 filter. One of the better ones out there.

Also if your lookin for more info browse powerstroke.org

X2

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Back