2" dom, Where to get it.

csudman

Were building lowers for a ton yj, So, wheres the best place to get 8' of the stuff around the the statesville area?

2" OD, 1" ID and 8' long, or two 4' sections.

I guess this is suspension related, but mods feel free to move it.

I would say Stock Car Steel down in Mooresville. Or there is a place on Buffalo Shoals Rd but I cant remember the name of the steel place

Neither one can get it. The one on Buffalo shoals doesnt carry round tubing anymore.

I found it for 150.00 in charlotte. But damn.

The other option is 2" 1/4 wall sleeved over 1 1/2" 1/4 wall. But then I have to cut the 2" and reweld the seam to sleave it. And its 148.00 anyway.

Anyone else?

BLue torch fab sells 2" od 1/4 wall DOM that is clean and also coated (coating is conductive so no need to clean before welding) and its like $8.99 per foot. They also have 1.75 and 1.5 od 1/4 wall. They'll ship it too precut to your desired lengths. But damn, never even seen 1/2" wall before. Is that not an overkill?

Never mind, I always go way over...all my brackets are 1/2 in plate so guess 1/2" wall tube is not biggy.

Aggressive1 said:
BLue torch fab sells 2" od 1/4 wall DOM that is clean and also coated (coating is conductive so no need to clean before welding) and its like $8.99 per foot. They also have 1.75 and 1.5 od 1/4 wall. They'll ship it too precut to your desired lengths. But damn, never even seen 1/2" wall before. Is that not an overkill?

Never mind, I always go way over...all my brackets are 1/2 in plate so guess 1/2" wall tube is not biggy.

They way I figure, this is one thing I never want to bend/brake. And this will ensure it. Also gonna be running 1" shaft joint's, so tapping will be easy.

Actualy, I never thought of that, can you tap 1"id tube for 1" shank heims?

csudman said:
Actualy, I never thought of that, can you tap 1"id tube for 1" shank heims?

99.5% sure the answer is no. You'd need slightly smaller ID than 1". gotta have room for the threads!

The outside diameter of the threads is what the bolt or rod is measured at. So a 1" bolt will slide in and out of 1 in. OD tube withought threading it

The outside diameter of the threads is what the bolt or rod is measured at. So a 1" bolt will slide in and out of 1 in. OD tube withought threading it.

I think its close to 1/8 in. overlap in size they need to be and of course course and fine thread are different.

rockcity said:
Why not try EMJ in charlotte???

http://www.emjmetals.com/

Rob

They have it. $150.00 for 8'. Just hoping for cheaper. But It looks like it won't work anyway. Well, I could just run 1 1/4 joints. And drill and tap for that. We'll see.

I'm still looking if anyone else has any ideas.

can you use inserts.their about 10 a peace and right and left hand thread.i used 1.75 .250 wall for my links and no problems as of yet.if you do feel like you will bend them you can always sleave them with some id tubeing.just a thought>

hairy bean bag said:
can you use inserts.their about 10 a peace and right and left hand thread.i used 1.75 .250 wall for my links and no problems as of yet.if you do feel like you will bend them you can always sleave them with some id tubeing.just a thought>

Heres a thought, 1.5 .250 wall with half of a piece of 2" .250 wall on the bottom of the links. If that makes sence. That way, the bottom half of the link will be 1/2 thick.

And before anyone says anything, the frame end will be bushings and fixed, so the links can't flip over.

You could always use square tube. Its fairly cheap and ya can run RE or JJ on the end.

call Chassis Shop: 1-800-530-9494 and they should be able to help you for a decent price. Even cut it to length for ya and UPS it to you.

Rob

Back