1st gen. CTD problem

justjeepin86

So we are dealing with a 93 Dodge w250, 230k, 5spd. To start off, I just replaced the fuel shut off selenoid(from cummins) about 6 months ago b/c it would not start often. Fixed the problem. Just last friday, I had left the house towing my jeep and had a wierd problem. I was taking off from a stop sign, got into 3rd gear and it felt like a u-joint broke. It was just like that, total power loss. As soon as it happened I slowed down and realized I had power again. I drove another 2 or 3 miles and it happened again, only this time in 5th gear. I was wondering if the FSS could be shorting or something, causing fuel to shut off then come back on allowing the engine to run again? What else could it be? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
michael

The FSS connections sometimes get loose (unless you did a ring terminal or new spade connector when you replaced it?)... but IMO, there's a big difference between the engine shutting done momentarily and "it felt like a u-joint broke"!

- How old is the fuel filter? Unsure, replace it NOW!

- What's your fuel pressure post filter? VE pumps need a max of 15psi (anything more will blow the front $eal) and if the pressure after the filter is getting into the low single digits, it'll likely cause a performance hit, but would tend to manifest at WOT conditions.

If you still suspect the FSS, you can pull the top (coil) off and pull the plunger. this will allow the fuel to flow regardless of 12V to the solenoid. You can still shut it down via the lever on the side of the injector pump (search DTR for "pull cable" for instructions).

You may want to post up on the 1st GEN forum at www.dieseltruckresource.com to see if any of the CTD brains there have any suggestions...

HTH

i would check your wire connections to fuel shut off solinoid.

I had this same problem.. it does nto matter what gear i was in.. it was more when i hit a bump and the connector would move.. I put on new connectors and had no issues since..

Back