1999 7.3 super duty leaking fuel pass side, not the drain valve

xjtrailrider

Damn, just days before a big trip and its leaking fuel bad. Its not the drain valve, the valley is dry. Its somewhere at the front of the motor. I have heard that there are plugs in the rail that the o rings go bad on. How hard is it to fix these?

Is it leaking under the truck or in the coolant or what? 7.3s have about 10 different places they can leak....

It could be the fuel end plug o-rings or could be one of the o-rings in the fuel bowl drain. Of course it could be others like Croatan_Kid said, these are just ones I've replaced/upgraded.
I've heard that the OEM o-rings don't stand up to the new diesel fuel...

Well my bad :-(

It was the drain valve. That damn thing took me 4 hours to replace and my big hands look like they have been through a meet grinder!

Thanks for every ones help

Mine did the same thing a while back but I had fuel in what everyone called "the valley" which come to find out is the low space in the center of the motor between the heads. I never actually saw it leaking but I could see the fuel and smell it so I went with the cheapest fix first the O rings on the fuel water separator drain valve first or @ the fuel bowl. Fortunately for me that fixed my problem for about $5 but the other possible source is the metal fuel line running down the pass side there is a little secure clip that holds the fuel line to the fire wall and keeps it from moving but the rubber wears down and the metal on metal creates a hole in the mental fuel line, the fuel line is the high pressure fuel line for passenger side it's about $55.00 from the dealer when you change this part word of advice leave the secure clip OFF or it will happen again. Start with the O rings it's cheap and very easy plus it won't hurt to change them anyway the ultra low sulfur desiel eats the rubber gaskets and sooner or later they will leak

Back