1997 Toyota 4 Runner IFS

Papa_Jon

non speller
My youngest son has finally gotten into off roading .
last weekend he went to URE said pop a cv axle , he carries 2 spares .
swapped it out and soon as he moved broke new one .
so it left hub part in diff to keep fuild in it and limped it home .

N
IMG_5444.jpg
IMG_5443.jpg
IMG_5442.jpg
IMG_5445.jpg
otice one side of axle is higher then other causing shaft to bind
got a replacement diff bracket to see if that was bad or bent.
did not help .
all suspension seems intact and straight. pics to follow
ANY IDEAS OR HELP WILL BE WELCOME

i believe it has proper lift on it was fine for many of trips.
just this time half way through the day it snapped 1st one then soon as he install new spare it snap and he notice the binding

Were they spare's OEM shafts or parts store junk? They are on very much different levels. Diff drop will save those cv boots from eating themselves as well.

Were they spare's OEM shafts or parts store junk? They are on very much different levels. Diff drop will save those cv boots from eating themselves as well.
as you can see in pic the new shafts also in pic you can see the angle that shaft is in while sitting on ground . nothing to do with brand of shaft or anything . something has one side of axle pushed up .
the diff or axle dented oil pan .
InkedIMG_5443_LI shaft.jpg

as you can see in pic the new shafts also in pic you can see the angle that shaft is in while sitting on ground . nothing to do with brand of shaft or anything . something has one side of axle pushed up .
the diff or axle dented oil pan . View attachment 329971

Yeah no shit I see it's a new shaft I was mearly asking if they were OEM or aftermarket. The aftermarket one's are not on the same level as the OEM shafts and generally are much much weaker. The angle doesn't look much different in my eyes, appears the different style CV boots are creating an illusion or could be the angle of the picture.

These Toyota's only have a fixed amount of wheel travel. IIRC it's like 8" or some like that. Regardless when you lift them you're swapping down travel for "ahem" uptravel. This put's the CV's at an angle they are not happy living at for extended period's of time. Basically they ride around at almost max down angle. Which is why a diff drop is common on non-drop bracket lift Yota's.

So again a diff drop should cure the issue your seeing. The reason you're just now seeing the issue is likely the fact that's not an OEM CV axle. I ran the exact same lift on my truck and from best my memory serves I ran a diff drop and only ever kill 1 OEM CV shaft over the 4 years I wheeled the truck.

Had new axle shaft in it b4 he has replaced few times this season. Always same type lifetime warranty and all.
Diff is hitting oil pan. Even with a 1in diff drop.
We have tried new to us diff bracket to see if old one got bent . No change.
Something is definitely bent or fubar

You have more pics with the diff drop installed?

I'm not best at putting shit into words using phone. So please excuse me if I come off like a azzhole not my intention..
With diff drop install on both side shaft binds and will not turn.
With diff drop on passager side only it allows shaft to turn but angle is all off.
He has same set-up for 6 months or so and has broke passager side shaft couple times. But always under hard wheeling like going up daniel.
Something has to be bent or broke that we not seeing . A shaft no matter oem or cheapy should not kink up to it won't turn out of blue.

Attachments

• 20201103_173602.jpg
    20201103_173602.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 147
I'd pull both shafts and check them along with the front diff. Starting to sound like it's binding due to the front diff and not the shafts.

I'd pull both shafts and check them along with the front diff. Starting to sound like it's binding due to the front diff and not the shafts.
WHAT i was trying to narrow down, oem junk yard shaft did it as well , it kinks so bad it will snap if you try and roll it. worked fine for 6 months ..

no visible signs of and bending on tubes on either side of diff but is it possible or common to bend a diff tube on ifs ? he just going to SAS with a d44 be done,, I can not leave it alone till i find out why and how .. my ocd

The angles of those shafts look way to steep.

The angles of those shafts look way to steep.
Yeah that is the problem . Driver side is perfect with or with out diff drop. Passenger side was great for about 6 months. Then last weekend he started popping Passenger shafts . When no diff drop it will not even turn with out snapping shaft. With 1 in drop on just Passenger side it turns and all but no flex..
It's either the diff or the tube that causing it but can't narrow it down.
He going to SAS this winter but I would love to fix it b4 that so he can sale parts to off set price some..

What a toyota front end should look like lol

Attachments

• 20200830_165110.jpg
    20200830_165110.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 149
  • 20200830_165101.jpg
    20200830_165101.jpg
    299.3 KB · Views: 149
Not the best pic, but here is my angle with toytec 620lb coils and diff drop spacers. Either your diff tube or your frame is fubar.

C100220B-6206-4A13-87D0-0F9AB89C053F.png

Not the best pic, but here is my angle with toytec 620lb coils and diff drop spacers. Either your diff tube or your frame is fubar.

View attachment 330129
yeah that what he looked like b4 last trip , god i hope it aint frame we eyeballed it looks straight . Im temped to put a junkyard diff in it to if tube or not

yeah that what he looked like b4 last trip , god i hope it aint frame we eyeballed it looks straight . Im temped to put a junkyard diff in it to if tube or not
Pull the whole front diff out and see what it looks like. You may never spot it while everything is still together.

I've got a complete front diff in a 2000 4runner automatic trans parts truck I have no need for. The motor is out, so it should be pretty easy to get to. PM me if interested. I'm in north Charlotte near UNCC.

Back