1996 Camaro for a DD. POS or Decent?

1996 Camaro 5sp 3800 Decent or POS

• POS

Votes: 17 77.3%
  • Decent

Votes: 5 22.7%

• Total voters

atblis

Looking at a 1996 Camaro with 5 speed and 3800 V6. Has 170K miles. Clean. Was in a "fender bender" and supposedly only the front left fender needed replaced. The gaps between the fenders and hood are uneven. The gaps on either side of the trunk lid are also uneven. Is this cause for concern?

Anybody got one of these? How did it hold up for you? Fuel mileage? What would you pay for that car?

Thanks,
Andrew

wife had a 95...it was ok but at 150k all shit started going wrong.

syncros in tranny
injectors
cracked intake

So we traded it for a 99 SS (this was in 99)

Yep

That's what I keep getting. Everbody's like "that's a decent car", and then as soon as you mention the mileage they flinch.

Yep, run away from that one!

Not looking good.

The car is actually for my friend. He asked my "professional opinion". I don't actually know anything about Chebys, as I have never had the pleasure of owning one. My loss I guess.

I've been trying to talk him into a Honda but...

if its dirt cheap, sure. they aren't the best cars, but they can be had for cheap. I wouldn't spend much money on one (and i have a 94 z28). the 3.8 is a reliable power plant, the rest of the car will likely fall apart before the engine fails (I like to call this CTD syndrome)

It will be fine after you run 25 lbs of sand thru the engine...

Oh wait...that was the other forum!

LOL!

they are all around decent cars, but the cars amenities tend to stop functioning systematicly. the 3.8 super coupes will run a good long time. unfortunately your twisted up wreck repaired unibody is probably a turd and should be avoided.

I drive a 95 T/A daily and i would not buy a honda. The high mileage imports kept me in iroks and axles for the 10 years easily. I would wager that my LT1 car gets comparable mileage to most of similar priced imports.

you are right. I was thinkin more accord, but still i get 21-25 no problem and dont have to drive a chick car.

Also I have a lot of fun while driving and my parts are cheaper, except tires.....

Did I mention I get to drive a dudes car.

Right

Did I mention I get to drive a dudes car.
Sorry, that doesn't work on me. I tend to purchase things based on substance rather than general perception.

Cheby parts are just as expensive as Honda parts.

Back