1992 Mazda B2600i Help

andrewlail76

Man it feels like forever since I was last here. I need some help. If you go back through some of my prior posts, I made mention that my truck, once warm, would intermittently decide not to start. Well, it has progressed now. I had it die on me when I would turn left. We replaced the distributor and it fired right up and ran like a champ...until I turned left...and it died again. We put the old distributor back in and it fired right up and ran like a champ...until I turned left. It died again. Currently it will not start at all. I really don't want to take the distributor out again and put it back in again...and I don't want to only make right turns from now on. Anyone got any ideas as to what may be going on? This is a great truck with under 110K on it, and I really want to keep driving it. If i can't figure it out...it may be a goner...:(

I'd start by suspecting a wire shorting in the steering column harness

Might be the ignition switch. Slap the column when it won't turn over and see if it does. I've got a 94 Altima that needs a switch, intermittent starts unless you hit the column or turn key 500 times (exaggeration)

Yeah sounds like a wiring short or switch issue in the column. Start jiggling the switch and pulling on the harness while its running and see what happens.

When I can get it to crank, I can turn the steering wheel left and right and it runs fine...the second I'm moving and I turn left, it dies...I just don't get it. A problem in the wiring in the steering column would make it die even when sitting still. The fact it will only die when driving and turning left...I just don't know

You should be able to move the harness around and make it die. Also could be wiring under hood if it only occurs while driving. Also, I'd personally prefer a dead vehicle to one with an intermittent issue. See now when you said it won't always crank, you really meant it won't run. No crank is motor refuses to turn over. Splitting hairs but terminology is

These trucks are notorious for having the electrical part of the ignition switch to go bad. And It would be a great place to start looking since it is on the left hand side of the steering column. I have a 93 that was doing the no start thing when it would get to operating temperature. Turned out to be the ignition coil on mine. Intermitten problems suck. If you can get it to replicate at home, here are a couple of things that I try. You gotta have spark, and fuel. Have some one turn the truck over and spray starting fluid in the breather tube going to the throttle body. If it runs until the fluid is gone, you have a fuel delivery problem. If it still doesn't run, pull a spark plug, reattach the plug wire and have somebody turn it over. You should have a very blue intense spark. If you don't since you have tried a couple of different distributors, I would look at the ignition coil. I had a similar problem in my 93, with the exception of the turning left thing. It ended up being the ignition coil.

Back