1991 YJ lost 5th gear dunno why

murphystoys

Today I was driving on the highway running 65 mph in 5th gear. I thought it just popped out of gear but when I went to put it back in gear there was nothing there. Ive still got the rest of my gears just lost 5th only. Does anyone have any idea what happend and do I need to get another transmission? Or is this an easy fix? If I do need another one does anyone have one. My YJ has the big 4 banger in it.

Yep, common AX5 problem. Toss in a used one for a JY or someone on the board. Probably not worth the $ it would cost to rebuild.

snap ring jumped off the shaft behind 5th gear it will require the rear half of the tranny to be torn down. with its age you may be better of fonding another tranny cause worn bearings will cause this and it is a common problem.

x2 There is a snap ring that breaks on the 5 th gear. Easy fix if you have done it before. Assuming that is what it is. I'd swap in a JY unit and repair that one for when it happens on the JY unit.

snap ring jumped off the shaft behind 5th gear it will require the rear half of the tranny to be torn down. with its age you may be better of fonding another tranny cause worn bearings will cause this and it is a common problem.

:stupid:
Yep very common. You might find that the bearings have scored the shaft so just putting it back in place and tac welding the retainer in place won't help. Since I had larger tires I seldom used 5th so I just drove it until I found a tranny.

There is an aftermarket piece that you can get that goes over the output shaft where 5th rides and clamps to it. Effectively holding 5th on. Can't remember where I found it though :(

Back