1984 Jeep CJ-7: Wiring & Behind The Dash Stuff

CJM1971

My father-in-law and I are planning to pull the dash off my 84 CJ over the next few months and start re-working the heat, defrost, etc. Does anyone know of any good sites with pictures or info on how I should even go about doing this other than just digging in. I would like work on the wiring as well to have some dash lights that work, but it may be easier to just install a new wiring harness....any input on that as well is helpful.

1ed82ef5b8f92152ba6eff934b34b137.jpg

Here is a picture of what it looks like from the factory. Hope it helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol. I did my 84 cj8. (6years ago) It was a mess. I switched gauges to a marshall set and switched everything to LEDs. I used the prewired cheap leds from eBay and gutted the indicator displays. Some work still, some don't. Pulled the computer and all the emissions stuff off at the time. I removed a couple of miles of wires from that jeep. It wasn't that bad once I got into it. I tried to simplify it and clean it up. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do the nutter bypass if you haven't already and follow what it takes to remove the wiring harness that's associated with it.

Search for the wiring harness. The factory schematics are out there, I've got the complete .pdf for the '82 and earlier models (non computer) saved.

And like @josh m said, it's not that bad once you get into it. These things are simple.

Along with what's stated above don't trust anything you see under there. Odds are someone has monkeyed with it at some point in the past. My old CJ7 had painters tape holding a few wires together.

Take your time and it'll make sense as you are sorting through

Thanks for replying, I plan on tackling this over the winter, but it was good to hear that it won't be too painful, and I agree Adam, no doubt this rig has been jacked with over the years, can peek under the dash and see little spools of wire wrapped up with zipties

Back