1500 Tow Rig

350buggy

I generally am of the opinion that if you want a tow rig you need a 25/3500 preferably diesel all the bells and whistles and so on. But lets be honest its hard to afford a nice tow rig... a DD and a trail rig. Combine that with the fact that in a few short months I will be a dad... and well the 1500 starts to make more sense.

I recently got an excellent deal on what I am planning to use as my work truck and tow rig. Its old... its 2 wheel drive, and its a single cab.... three things I didn't want before haha. But the deal was too good to pass and the truck is in excellent condition.

The rig is a 1990 Dodge D150 Pickup. 4 speed automatic transmission, 3.90 rear end, all behind a gas guzzling 360 with 114,000 miles. The truck pulls great but being a 1500 it does squat substantially when I tow my buggy.

My question is.... Is anyone running a 1500 with helper springs or air bags? I am leaning toward airbags and would love to hear some input on this. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1982.jpg
    IMG_1982.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 449
  • IMG_1983.jpg
    IMG_1983.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 446
Not exactly the answer to your question... but I'm running Firestones Ride-Rites on my Dodge 2500. I've got about 3000-3500# of pin weight on my gooseneck. I'll put 30psi in the bags, and that's just enough to get the truck level. They stiffen up the spring rate, too... so the trailer can't squat the truck suspension as much on bumps.

The difference between most half ton and 3/4 ton trucks is the suspension, and sometimes the frame. That and a heavier axle.
I would beef up the springs a bit, and run bags. this will get you where ya nned to be with the loads. be on the look out for a donor 3/4 ton truck if you could get both fron and rear suspensions, and the rear axle that would be great. That way you would have nearly the same as a 3/4 ton, wich would also give you better brakes too. Other than suspension, the brakes and axle weight rating are you bigest concerns. 3/4 tons have biger axle shafts, and brakes and also bearings.
worst case, make sure your trailer has breaks on both axles, and run a good synthetic in your diff.

I'm still towing with a 98 Chevy 1500/Z-71 [4x4]. Has slightly heaver spring rate than the 93 1500, I used to have. & yes, I run 2 axle brakes, & all synthetic fluids. I gotta question your tongue weight. Sure I drop the rear of the truck maybe 3", but whole rig looks level. My hitch & trailer line up level, & my best figuring at a local scale, is about 450lb.s tongue weight. I believe the formula, is 7-10% max., of towed weight on the hitch ball. 7% preferred. As far as springs, I have more concern with sway, than weight. Of course sway can be affected by tongue weight, springs, & wheelbase. A Suburban, with proper springs, makes a great tow rig.:driver:

I am keeping my eyes out for a 3/4 ton donar. That would be ideal. Maybe even a wrecked 12 valve haha but that's wishful thinking.
Improved braking would certainly help. I'm running brakes one axle on the trailer.... Two would make it safer for sure.
The whole reason I'm considering bags is because airlift is running a special offer. When you buy bags and an onboard compressor you get a $100 rebate. Anybody using airlift bags?

Start with a WD hitch. Once they're set up, they're not bad to deal with, and make a big difference in how the load feels. I don't know how they work so well, but they do. My dad tows a 27' Airstream, about 35-3700lbs, with a Honda Pilot. When he first hitches up, it sags like hell. Put the WD bars on, and it levels right out and tows smooth.

No I don't. I haven't really considered that. Always thought they were kind of a pain but maybe I'm wrong. Are they worth it?

Yes def worth it. I towed with a 2002 chevy 1500 for several years. Makes a huge difference.

Start with a WD hitch. Once they're set up, they're not bad to deal with, and make a big difference in how the load feels. I don't know how they work so well, but they do. My dad tows a 27' Airstream, about 35-3700lbs, with a Honda Pilot. When he first hitches up, it sags like hell. Put the WD bars on, and it levels right out and tows smooth.

They really are not a big deal. The key is distribution. What is does is transfer some of the tongue wieght to the front axle. Not just handle more weight like helper springs or bags.

Definately start with the hitch

Back