1500/1500hd

spareparts

here's the scenario, I have a 99 1500 Burban 2wd. got 200000 plus miles on it. I have a fresh 383 that's going to be sitting in it before too long. I'm thinking about upgrading the suspension to take advantage of the increased power to give me a little better towing(and stopping) ability. What's the actual difference in the hard parts of a 1500 and a 1500 HD(99 and back), I haven't had a chance to look at one, I figure it has the 14 bolt semi floater on the rear, matching front hubs and brakes, are the a-arms 3/4 ton stuff, is the frame 2500? I haven't seen too many 1500 HD's to compare. If its standard 2500 stuff bolted on a 1500 chassis, sounds like a pretty straight forward swap. Figured I'd ask before look in the yards.

Had '95 heavy 1/2 (7200#gross) was mostly 1/2 ton parts, semi 14b rear. 5.7/ NV4500. Frame is same as 1/2 ton just little heavier. 1/2 ton lowers, ball joints etc.. Was a great 1/2 ton truck.. But definitely NOT a 3/4 ton.

I towed with it a few times. It just didn't have the brakes and frame to pull a car hauler w/ 4500# rig long distance.

There are tons of 3/4-1ton chevys out there for cheap. Many with same mileage as yours, grab a heavier base and swap some parts around..

The OBS (88-99) 1500s with the F44 (heavy half) option had the 6 lug 14SF rear, heavier brakes on the rear, stiffer rated springs and torsion bars although not 3/4 ton parts, giving it the heavier GVWR. Frame, steering and front suspension were still all 1/2 ton pieces.

I guess I should have clarified, I'm not planning on towing my trail rig with it(I've got an E350 7.3L van for that), just want to boost the load capability a little. My wife an I have been talking about getting a tag a long camper(nothing too big), figured a little help would be nice. I'm also having problems getting the load rated LT tires for 15" wheels. Factory 6 lug 16's would solve that issue. The body and interior are in good shape on this truck, I've already rebuilt the front end. I know this vehicle from front to back. Its my wife's daily driver. I thought about buying a 2500, but finding one that hasn't been abused or neglected is hard to do.

Back