12v or 24v

cjgolfer7

Looking at getting into a dodge to tow horses, cars, and a camper. Want to make it a stout tow rig in the long run. Just want to know thoughts and major differences in the 12v and 24v and any major issues besides he auto trannys not holding up and the KDP.. Any info and advice would be appreciated thanks

Both are great engines easy to work on, my 24v just rolled 420k the other week and it still runs like a top. One problem with the 24v was fuel delivery to the injection pump(factory lift pump is shit) put a FASS fuel system on it and fuel pressure guage, no worries. I think the 12v leaks oil worse than the 24, not a big deal just my experience. The 12v will probly be cheaper to get power out of but wont flow as much air as the 24. Both will benefit from air intake and straight pipe exhaust!

Both are great engines easy to work on, my 24v just rolled 420k the other week and it still runs like a top. One problem with the 24v was fuel delivery to the injection pump(factory lift pump is shit) put a FASS fuel system on it and fuel pressure guage, no worries. I think the 12v leaks oil worse than the 24, not a big deal just my experience. The 12v will probly be cheaper to get power out of but wont flow as much air as the 24. Both will benefit from air intake and straight pipe exhaust!

x2. I don't have any experience with the 12v but I love my 24v. the transmissions (automatics) are the weak point in these trucks...you'll go through a few transmissions before you'll have to tear into a Cummins.

12v is a little simpler to maintain. Maybe a touch lower repair cost. Most 12v trucks are getting to the point of requiring some more in depth repairs. Items such as timing case can be a steep bill. There is a 24v at my shop with a for sale sign in it.

Finding some decent deals on the 12v..looking to get in to a 4x4 dually.. Plans right off the bat intake and exhaust and possibly address any fuel issues and a chip anyone has any recommendations..

12v aren't turned up with a chip, u need a fuel plate.

What ya do is get a 06 duramax and every 5,000 miles change the oil and every 10,000 change the fuel filter.:burnout:

I have an 06 duramax and at about 80,000 miles I did have to replace the windshield wiper blades. Most parts stores will replace them for free but if you are a do it yourselfer its a very easy install.

For ultimate budget mindedness, the 12V....though, what's your budget? IMO a good Commonrail is the best bet for overall power/newness/etc.

Nothing just would like a new body style if I went with a ford and haven't found to many with decent miles that's a 99 or later

I guess i need to clarify... why buy an older, possibly worse condition truck that needs more attention when you can maintan the one you have and save some $$$$?

I picked mine up for $4k. it's a quad cab 4x4 dually. has the typical cracked dash but that doesn't matter to me. it's got an intake and 4" straight pipe and only has 192k miles on it.

Well I have no ford... So in the market for a dually lookin to spend around 10k..

...so update your sig...

03' F250 6.0 4x4 Tow Rg/DD
74' CJ-5 (pending sale)
42' Ford GPW
85/87 Yota project
87 & 88 Samurai projects

i'd get a decent 12V, spare some $$$$ for a good rebuilt trans & TC, do a tune up and if the dash is bad just drop the money for a replacement one sold from Geno's garage

I'd go with a 24v simply for the tunability. You can get cheap power out of a 12valve but you can't just turn it off. It's easy to get a 120hp or more with a 24v with the touch of a button then turn it down for fuel mileage and such. Address the tranny and fuel supply and you're good.

Yeah I like the black 99 someone has put a deposit on it if it falls through I'll probably go that route..

Well the black 24v sold so the search continues but it sounds like that's what I'm looking for unless I find a screaming deal on a low mileage 12v..

go with the cummins, 12 or 24, I am doing a 12v swap in my 91 suburban. Good thing about the cummins is that cummins didnt make that motor for anybody. Its not exclusive to dodge, its universal. Its a true diesel, and trust me it will spank that dmax and the powerstroke.

Back