126 to much?

orange150

is a 126" wheel base too much? I ended up measuring wrong on the spring perches and moved my axle back five or six inches, its not that big of a deal seeing as how i just used some pre existing holes in the frame. But they are perfectly straight... which i was suprised about. If the general consensus is that indeed it is too much then i can easily unbolt the perches and relocate. I am just curious to every ones opinion and trying to get everything right the first time.
Thanks

I've run a 131" WB with 33's and drug belly on a bunch of stuff.

If you have 38" or bigger tires you might be surprised by how well it works for climbs.

ok, after searching how to find the right shackle angle
Rich said:
flatten out the leaf completely. That's as long as the spring will ever get. Allow an extra 1/4"-3/8" for bushing play. When the spring is this length, set the shackle back so it's close to, but not at the point where it will just fold flat against the frame. That'll work! Whatever it winds up with at rest will be dependent of the arch of the spring.... but will allow for the most droop, and enough compression.

how would i go about determining what the right shackle length is? or does my desired ride hight determin that?

also if anyone has any other wheel base comments keep 'em coming

126 is longer than i prefer but not in the range of being too long IMO... it all comes down to personal preference... itll climb better than a shorter wheelbase rig but wont be able to make the same tight turns... but with 42's, i think you'll be fine

orange150 said:
ok, after searching how to find the right shackle angle
how would i go about determining what the right shackle length is? or does my desired ride hight determin that?
also if anyone has any other wheel base comments keep 'em coming

I wouldn't really use shackle length to get ride height, as for every inch in length of the shackle, you only gain a half-inch in height. Also, after making a shackle so long, it will have a tendency to lean over and stress the mounts, unless you add a cross brace. If it were me, I would just measure the "flat" spring, measure from the front spring hanger to whatever point you want the shackle to hang and still clear the frame, leaving roughly half an inch for spring-to-frame clearance (and taking into account for bushing flex).

allright, after doing a butt load of measureing i figured out where the spring hangers need to be to have the axle where id *like* it to be. The problem is that the frame "kinks" in that area.
In the picture the two marks are where the bolt holes need to be drilled, the only reason i have bolts holding it in is because i dont weld well and wanted the springs hung so i could have some forward progress in the build... they will be welded later. The hanger sticks out roughly an inch or so from those marks, so that kink is really in the way. Any ideas?
ai15.photobucket.com_albums_a393_mgbolton_Truck_Rear_DSCF0047.jpg

ai15.photobucket.com_albums_a393_mgbolton_Truck_Rear_DSCF0046.jpg

I am still not sure if I am going to move it though, I would like to but a few people have said they like their wheel base being that long.

My K5 came from the factory with a 106.5" wheelbase. It was good, but I used some zero rates and bumped it out to roughly 108". I haven't measured it since, but that's what it should be. When I go to the stock rears up front, it will be even longer, but I like the range I'm working with now. It climbs well, flexes well, and still has a decent turning radius.

i would move it the 1/2" (can't tell from the pic) or so to get it on the flat part of the frame... you wont notice the difference

yeah, i would just move it to the flat part of the frame then... like i said, you wont notice the difference in wheelbase

Back