10" Drop Hitch = Leverage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricky B

Wiiide Open
Yea was towin the trailer with a big ol truck on it sunday and my buddy was towing his dads trailer with his dads old like early 80's (I think) chevy truck with some other parts on it behind me. Well since neither of us have working trailer brakes we were takin it easy the whole way, I mean I use downshifting as my primary source of braking and use the brakes as the secondary source. Well Taylor (the guy that has that Yota that I put the Chevy springs on and redid all the suspension) had never towed with his dads truck b4 and I was drivin and all of a sudden this little POS Rice Burner in front of me decides to turn left and can't cause theres traffic in the other lane. Well, I downshifted and braked and succesfully stopped in time. Well all of a sudden I hear SCRRRRR and bang i get rearended by my buddy :shaking: . ANyway didn't really hurt his truck too much other than bendin the bumper a little bit and didnt hurt my trailer but bent one of the ramps a little bit. Well my 10" drop hitch acted as a breaker bar on my hitch and just about ripped it clean off the frame. Ripped two of the bolt holes on the frame and bent up the rest real bad. So now I get to do some acetlyn heating and hammerin, and bendin to try and straiten it all out then weld up the cracked parts and make gussets to support all the weakened bent parts :( , oh well at least it didn't damage it beyond how i can fix it.

So, moral of the story, make sure your buddy has trailer brakes if hes drivin behind you ;)

Notice Where my hitch is pointing in the pic below

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v674_jrraw23_404902ce.jpg

i thought the moral of the story was dont tow with a 10" drop hitch? or dont tow a trailer with non working brakes?

Duane

hmm....

Attachments

• REDsm.jpg
    REDsm.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 636
I thought the moral was don't be a ricer.

your dumb as hell for towing with that peice of shit redneck ass mud truck you have

Glad nobody was hurt. With as many stories I hear about death due to towing, you were lucky. Metto's being an ass, but he was also accurate. Your rig is no longer a tow rig.

J

you need to work on that trailer jack too...

Yea it got dragged and bent some need to bend it back as well.

Your rig is no longer a tow rig.

Yea it never really was in the first place, but untill i get out of college and can afford me a good tow rig it's all I got to work with. For the most part it does allright though when towing, and as soon as I figure out how the heck to wire up the brand new brakes i put on the trailer last week it will do even better, course i do need to fix the frame and hitch first :lol:

In the meantime, I'll make a copy of this thread for safe keeping.

If your dumb ass happens to kill somebody out on the highway, I'm sure posts like these will help the DA prove willful disregard for the safety of others in your manslaughter trial.

What an idiot.

Nah I think yall were out there. I was headed down 150 toward the house in a sliver tacoma around 8:45ish. Thought I reconized the black truck with flames but couldnt remember from where. Then I saw this thread and remembered. Wish I would have stopped now. Next time just be ready to slow down around that area, people pull out from the road on your left (across from Locke VFD headed toward salisbury) and turn right onto Miller allllll the time. Lots of accidents.

Rickyyy???

:confused: :shaking: :handed: Dude..... can you say trailer brakes??

And in the future, could you post your travel plans, so the rest of us can

STEER CLEAR of YOur Unsafe, Non DOT Approved "Prime Mover" :D

Thnx :driver:

CLRracer said:
i thought the moral of the story was dont tow with a 10" drop hitch? or dont tow a trailer with non working brakes?
Duane

x2

P.S. if you plan on just fixing the hitch and not replacing it make sure if we ever go on a trip with you we are in a different lane. :)
Really just buy a new one. Never know if the welds are going to hold.

saf-t scissors said:
In the meantime, I'll make a copy of this thread for safe keeping.

If your dumb ass happens to kill somebody out on the highway, I'm sure posts like these will help the DA prove willful disregard for the safety of others in your manslaughter trial.

What an idiot.

Did not want to say it but....you did. Dude, I am so glad I live far away from you jrraw23..

ok, just one more for clarification

ai40.photobucket.com_albums_e250_Deuce40s_retard2.jpg

If you have to make it work with that lift, run bars from the bottom of the ball mount upwards to the frame, attaching to the frame well ahead of the existing hitch mounting. Figure out a strong way to make these bars removable if you need to be able to remove the ball mount - if you don't need to remove it, then that would be easier.

Ricky, you should probably just quit making posts. You sure aren't making yourself look any better.

Yea, im the idiot that finds stuff out the hard way, lol.

Nah I mean I wasn't the one who ran into someone cause of no trailer brakes it was my buddy who ran into me aught to be bitchin at him :flipoff2: .

And last week I had actually put all new hubs and brakes on my trailer but I can't figure out how to wire the brakes up, I spent like an hour trying different combo's with the exsisting wiring harness on the trailer trying to get the brakes to work but they wont :mad: I just need to get some one who knows what the heck to do to look at my trailer but there's no trailer places that I know of around here. There used to be one on 150 called Carolina Hitch but they moved and I don't know where they went.

Hey Tyler keep posting up the Retard Pics, I'm not the one who drove into the only creek in the middle of a huge cleared out field and rolled my jeep :fuck-you:

Trailer brakes are cake.. just run a wire to the brake pin on the 7-way plug... and make sure you have a VERY good ground on the trailer itself, and from the trailer to the 7-way plug. There's no + or - on the 2 wires coming off the magnet.

P.S. You don't have enough weight on your registration to pull a car trailer EMPTY, let alone with something on it.

jrraw23 said:
untill i get out of college and can afford me a good tow rig it's all I got to work with.

Agreed, so now you need to figure out what's in your weight range, and not tow stuff outside your weight range. I'm thinking single axle 4x8 utility trailer towing a mower, or funiture is your limit now. This wasn't anything more than a 1500 series when you got it, and you've lifted it. You have not upgrade brakes, axles, frame, or drivetrain. It may get attention, but it can't go and get a vehicle or even heavy vehicle parts.

Anyhow, your logic is flawed. According to your statement, if I only have the CJ and the Subaru, I can tow with the CJ with the Subaru. It's all I have to work with.

-- Dig?
J

jrraw23 said:
Yea, im the idiot that finds stuff out the hard way, lol.
no your just an idiot. you seriously will kill someone. it is fuck ups like you that make everyone else in the country think NC is full of dumbass rednecks. you have got a new retarded ass story or idea every week and you dont seem to get any smarter.

Rich said:
Trailer brakes are cake.. just run a wire to the brake pin on the 7-way plug... and make sure you have a VERY good ground on the trailer itself, and from the trailer to the 7-way plug. There's no + or - on the 2 wires coming off the magnet.

Ok the harness on the trailer itself has a black and red wire runnin to the axle with the brakes. I assumed it was pos, neg but if the brakes don't make an difference betweent he pos and neg then i must have something worng somewhere in the harness because i tried every different combo of hooking the red/black wires to the brakes to try and get them to work and never got any reaction from the brakes. Now the light on the trailer all work and there ground on the trailer is fine, so i'm thinkin maybe somewhere inside the harness one of the wires for the brakes has come loose or something so I might just have to break it open and start tracing the wires. Would the ground for the brakes be the same ground for the lights usually?

It's however you wire it. I run my brake ground directly to the trailer frame, and there's a ~12 ga. ground wire going to the ground pin on the 7-way from the frame.

Never trust colors.. ONLY pin position. Pull the wiring out of the loom from the conenctor to the trailer, and start from ground zero. Or at the very least check for continuity between the brake pin on the connector and the other end of the wire... you can't have the end connected to anything when you do this test.

Are you sure your brake controller wiring from the dash to the back of the truck is good? have you hooked to a good trailer to test it, or tested it another way? What kind of brake controller do you have?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back