06 f350 6.0

camsloop

Looking at buying a 2006 f350 6.0 this week. just needing some opinions as i will be driving everyday.

has 100k miles, edge programmer, egr cooler. Looked at this vehicle today an its in excellent shape. guy had alot of receipts from where hes kept the maint. up.

besides the head gaskets, an studs, are there any other problems the 06's are known for? any tips for better mpg with the 6.0's? I plan on the egr delete once i get the truck. Thanks, cam.

First off i had a 04 f250 bought with 50k miles sold with 140k miles. Truck was crew cab long bed lifted with 35s and i towed a 35ft gooseneck steel horse trailer. 10k+ lbs. I Replaced turbo, headgaskets/studs, ficm, transmission. here are a few things that go wrong with them. Head gaskets are at the top of the list. Egr valve gets caked up with soot. Fuel injector control module (ficm) can go bad causing poor fuel mileage and hard to start conditions. Fuel injectors are a weak link too. All 6.0s have common problems. 03 were worst but I've herd many of the same problems out of the 06 and 07s. As for mileage a free flowing exhaust and intake help. I had a SCT programmer that was good. Just use a low HP tune or towing tune and keep your foot out of it. Also they offer a aftermarket ficm that helps with mileage. Personally I wouldn't own another one but I know people who spent the money to bulletproof the motor and they don't have any problems with it.

best advice i can give is to run fast & far away from any 6.0L or 6.4L
i have driven a 2005 f550 for 4 years & it stayed in the shop & the low presser oil pump has went out 3 times & had to install 2 ford reman engines 3 sets of injectors & 2 sets of head gaskets & it never had a tuner on it & oil & all filters were changed every 4000 miles
the 6.0 & 6.4 are junk IMO

buy a 7.3 & never look back just my .02

best advice: Buy a 7.3 f250 powerstroke or a cummins. those are the only two diesel engines I can trust.

Back