02 sensors

R Q

How often do you replace oxygen sensors? I was reading the other day to do it every 3rd or 4th oil change.
Hate to say it but at 115,000 I've not replaced mine at all.:driver:
It's in a '97 Chevy HD, 350 Vortec, no mods other than K&N and gutted cats.
I tow a pretty heavy Jeepster and trailer and ain't skeered to load the bejesus out of it for events and plain old wheeling trips. I have noticed the hills getting a little tougher as time goes by.

sensors

You would need deep pocketsw to replace them that often. I would not repalce one until it failed.

Check out your owners manaul. Nissan pickups are around 75000k ($140 for both sensors).
It seems that for some vehicles, they may last the life of the vehicle. The Jeep owners manual and Factory service manual does not mention replacing these. I've seen vehicles with 200k+ with the factory O2 sensor - runs fine. No fuel mileage decrease or performance issues.
I've also seen them go bad and cause the vehicle to stall/sputter/ then accelerate like it has another 50 hp for a short burst. (Like an EGR valve going bad). Oh yeah and burn too much gas..
Here's what AAP says...(Their recommed intervals may be overkill...)
http://www.advanceautoparts.com/english/youcan/html/ccr/ccr20021201os.html

Replace them when they fail, our check engine light will come on when it happens.

Yea, replace them when they fail. The engine controller will let you know when they are worn out.

the general rule is 60,000 miles...suggested just like oil at 3,000 miles...

so you can obviously go longer...

I usually buy the direct fit (not universal fit) Bosch units from AutoZone...generally in the $60-$70 range...

if you wait til you get a check engine light, you'll be losing gas mileage as you go...I'd definitely change them if the CEL came on, but would definitely change them at 100K if it wasn't done...

Greg

I usually buy the direct fit (not universal fit)

X2 Never ever buy the universal. It's not worth the $5 you save to do the damn wiring. Also double check your part # before you install. I was given the wrong one once, but didn't realize this until after I put it in. They were still nice enough to give me an exchange.

run it till it fails you will know. you engine will tell you, it will start to run like crap and you eng light wiil come on

On my work truck, '96 Chevy 3500, Vortec, 5 spd, I had some problems last week and had to do some diagnostic work. Coil wire was bad (um slipped off:shaking: ) and was running like crap.
Took it to AutoZone and hooked up the OBDII tester and it said that the O2 sensors were bad.
Replaced all FOUR and BOY does it run better!:wheel:
I never measured the MPG before but at my regular fuel up this week it didn't take nearly as much fuel! :beer: Power is much better but still have a vaporlock problem on hot days.
Haven't done it to my pickup yet but will soon., major improvement!

Back