´Fixing´ stuff that ain´t broke (56k, make a sammich)

Andy J.

Doin’ it LIVE
It doesn´t take much to convince me to spend alot of hours in the garage ´fixing´my rig. I think get as much enjoyment from the wrenching and fabricating as I do from actually riding. It is especially more exciting since I got the plasma! Anyways, I am not crazy about some of the fabricated parts on the truck that were built by the PO. They work (for the most part), but just don´t meet my quality specs :lol:. I figured I would throw up a few pics if anyone wants to see or offer up suggestions.
Started with the dash. This was a nasty mess of aluminum sheet, plywood, and fiberglass :shaking:.

Before
ai661.photobucket.com_albums_uu335_thjones3_truggydash005.jpg

Dashless
ai661.photobucket.com_albums_uu335_thjones3_truggydash018.jpg

Part of the old dash awaiting transport to the nearest junkyard
ai661.photobucket.com_albums_uu335_thjones3_truggydash017.jpg

Current progress of new dash
ai661.photobucket.com_albums_uu335_thjones3_dash.jpg

more to come...that is if you aren´t asleep yet

alt bracket

The PO made a bracket to hold a 1-wire alt on the passenger side of the 22R, but it looked like it was welded by a 5 yr old. The belt tension was not adjustable because the curvature of the slot was wrong (cut out by a grinding disk). Finally, the placement of the alt was all wrong. The pulley on the alternator was about 1 inch forward of the corresponding crank and water pump pulleys so the belt was all crooked. I don´t even know how it worked as well as it did. :shaking:

Removed bracket
ai661.photobucket.com_albums_uu335_thjones3_oldbracket.jpg

new bracket
ai661.photobucket.com_albums_uu335_thjones3_P1010078.jpg

ai661.photobucket.com_albums_uu335_thjones3_P1010079.jpg

Last update for tonight

I don´t like the way the front half of the exo is, so I am slowly changing it. In the interest of maximizing approach angle, I am recessing the winch into the grill and putting the rad in the bed. I am going to narrow the nose a little bit too, maybe 6 inches or so.

What I started with
ai661.photobucket.com_albums_uu335_thjones3_Uhwarrie2022.jpg

cut off the from the dash forward
ai661.photobucket.com_albums_uu335_thjones3_P1010080.jpg

more teardown
ai661.photobucket.com_albums_uu335_thjones3_P1010080_1.jpg

as it sits now. started the tube work and using a BudBuilt winch plate
ai661.photobucket.com_albums_uu335_thjones3_P1010083.jpg

I haven´t really made up my mind about the front tube work yet. I think I will go with the stinger still, but a smaller version. I also found some rust around one of the body mounts that I need to fix up soon. Maybe I´ll get to it one day...

I really enjoy looking at pics of everyone else´s work, so I thought I´d share. :beer:

good lookin work man

what are you going to do for radiator lines? ive never really thought about this that in depth, but it would be nice to open of the front of my truck like that since I'm about to re do my tube work as well.

Thanks 1stgenxxx, I sent you a PM.

For the radiator lines, I plan to purchase some bulk hose from NAPA and do it that way. If that doesn´t work out, I will either go the steam hose route or steel tubing (in that order).

Back