Tub Rig/Jig

MattRRT

Has anyone homebuilt something to work on their tub? I have a couple floor patches and other rust repairs to do on a tub I got my 77 CJ5, and was wondering if anyone had built or had ideas on a rig to work on it?

I have to do floorpan patches, some bondo repair on the front, and rust repair at the seatbelt mount and back where the body bolts go in

Funny, I was just watching iron resurrection on motor trend do this. They tacked the body to a rectangular jig made of square tubing and then x-braced the inside with what looks to be 1/2” or 1” square tubing. Then they got to cutting.

I didn't have a rotisserie when I cut the floor out of my samurai, I braced inside with 1/2" square tube and then hung it from the ceiling of the shop with ratchet straps while I worked on it. If you have some people to help position the tub I'm sure you can hang it from the side or completely upside down.

Take a look at some of the latest videos put out by Fab Rats, he is working, doing pretty much the same thing that you are doing/wanting to do. He's working on a Jeep too, just not a CJ, but a Jeep commando that's gonna be his wife's. Bottom line weld some braces to everything you don't want to move, when done, just cut them off and grind them down. Now, if you're just replacing smaller pieces, just cut out a small section at a time, and when finished, cut another. But if you are like replacing the entire floor pan, yeah weld in some braces.

it’s not a jeep body, but I made a body cart from 2x10s and 4x4s for my early bronco body. 6” swivel casters makes it super easy to roll and spin around. It worked great to do quarters, front and rear floors, As, Bs, rockers and the front inner fenders.

Matching the frame-body mounting locations and heights is the key to usability.

IMG_1059.jpegIMG_1057.jpeg71849665197__73F3B93A-AF51-4A1B-9142-079F41F35ADF.jpegIMG_1344.jpeg

Has anyone homebuilt something to work on their tub? I have a couple floor patches and other rust repairs to do on a tub I got my 77 CJ5, and was wondering if anyone had built or had ideas on a rig to work on it?

I have to do floorpan patches, some bondo repair on the front, and rust repair at the seatbelt mount and back where the body bolts go in

Buy this!

1708230012382.jpeg

So I found this crate for $20 and it fits between the body mount rails. 4 2x4's and some screws and Hobo Freight swivel casters.

The cross ways 2x4s sit under each body mount point.
tempImageWhVkAe.png

So I found this crate for $20 and it fits between the body mount rails. 4 2x4's and some screws and Hobo Freight swivel casters.

The cross ways 2x4s sit under each body mount point. View attachment 412920
Redo that by making all the two bys vertical. If your worried about the stability of the tub I'd worry more about what your mounting it to being rigid.

Your wasting time trying to accomplish the task at hand using lumber in its weakest possible manner.

Back