Humvee won’t start

93redzj

So when I first got my humvee it burnt up the generator, so I switched to an alternator set up, then I burned up some glow plugs so replaced them, although I went cheaper knowing these smart boxes can burn them up. Few weeks ago I’m going to crank the humvee and it just turns over and over and puffs some white smoke out of tail pipe. This was an indication of bad glow plugs before, knowing I went cheap last time, I ponied up this time for some. Installed and it fired right up.

About a week later, I ran into same issue, motor turns over but doesn’t fire and white smoke. I decided to run a manual bypass for the glow plug controller, a write up I had found. This didn’t solve my issue. Still just turns over and puffs white smoke.

It’s the 6.2 non turbo diesel engine. Anyone with any insight? Or any “local” shops that work on these things

I would check voltage at the glow plugs and make 100% sure you are getting power to them. Also, check your grounds from engine/body/frame. To me it sounds like your new GPC fried the plugs.

@CasterTroy is misguided, I don't work on them or drive them, I just buy them and park them in the woods. 🤣

I would check voltage at the glow plugs and make 100% sure you are getting power to them. Also, check your grounds from engine/body/frame. To me it sounds like your new GPC fried the plugs.

@CasterTroy is misguided, I don't work on them or drive them, I just buy them and park them in the woods. 🤣
Well I had factory natron box in place for controller initially, it was after I replaced plugs and it had same issue that I decided to go the manual over ride route, I’ve also added the additional ground harness recommended for these bad boys, but I’ll definitely go over my connections. Also gonna try ANOTHER set of glow plugs and see what happens….debating if I should revert back to natron box controlling them or leave the manual override in place for the new set

We just had a push button switch on our 6.2. It worked flawlessly. Hold the button down for a couple seconds and crank.

Check continuity on the glow plugs and make sure you're getting power at the harness.

In my CUCV, I decided to do a glow plug delete. So I swapped in a Cummins :D

Probably not helpful for you, but it DID work quite well 🤣

We just had a push button switch on our 6.2. It worked flawlessly. Hold the button down for a couple seconds and crank.

Check continuity on the glow plugs and make sure you're getting power at the harness.
This is basically what I installed, with a relay. I’ll check to make sure I’m getting power

This is basically what I installed, with a relay. I’ll check to make sure I’m getting power
Relay is probably not rated for the load. Like Shawn said you need a continuous duty solenoid. As individuals they are not to bad. Cold draws the most and as they heat the pull is less. But all of them together is a fair amount of juice being drawn through the system.

True that! I noticed mine didn't even like to start without glow plugs at 70 degree ambient temps and the coolant temperature above 100!

Eventually, the rest of the glow plug harness burned up after doing a manual setup and that's literally what prompted the glow plug delete/Cummins swap.

Relay is probably not rated for the load. Like Shawn said you need a continuous duty solenoid. As individuals they are not to bad. Cold draws the most and as they heat the pull is less. But all of them together is a fair amount of juice being drawn through the system.
It’s a 24v 200amp starter relay, that’s what the write up on steel soldier forum said to use, is that not enough? I honestly don’t know I was just following this write up to a T….they listed out all the parts and part numbers, sites sourced for parts. Detailed instructions on how to wire and operate and claimed not having any hard start issues or burning up glow plugs after.

UPDATE: went outside to finally start tinkering and noticed the relay is a 12v 200amp….pretty sure that’s my problem there….i swore I bought the 24V one

Last edited:
Back