February 21st 2015 URE Workday.

krzyabncanuck

BLM HOTSHOT
Was just out today on the trails to see what all we will be working on this next workday. We have 4 different sections of guard rail that needs to be put up for a total of 1000 feet on Daniel alone. That is not even touching the I285 section which will be put off till later. The plan right now is to break into about 5 groups of workers and get working on guard rail and a small team working with a Sawyer to block a few other sections off on Daniel also. We also have set up some work to be done on RML if we have enough folks / supplies.

We have gone thru a lot of guard rail this last year and are about out of it right now. Just put an order in for 3,000.00 worth of it but I have no clue how far that will get us to the 1000 feet we have a need for on Daniel alone. If I remember correctly it should put us very close to that amount of feet that we need. It will be dropped off in the double parking lot for us I have already requested.

Sorry it took awhile to get this out but we had to get 3 people's schedules to work just right to meet up out there today. All area's that need the guard rail has been flagged their entire length. All 4 spots are on the back side of Daniel between the top and the top of I285 . I285 is where it gets about 10 lanes wide .

More will come out tomorrow by Terry.

Last edited:
With this being said it will be the perfect time for the clubs to figure out if they want FOU to rent some equipment to make it possibly easier or to be able to break into more teams. We only have 2 augers with the USFS and we have about 250 feet of rail to be put in at the top of Daniel hill climb. It is very rocky there. I am leaving it up to the clubs as they know how many they will have showing up and what their folks are qualified to operate. I myself do not think a Bobcat works up there but some folks might. Maybe look at getting a couple 2 man augers or something. It is up to the clubs to as they know their folks / trail better than me. I am just a worker bee / facilitator.

Also is CTB's auger back up and running ?

Last edited:
You have the authority to make that happen! Let me know where to send the check! Just do it :driver:

Last edited:
Someone get it to me, the place we got it from will take care of us...

It was not in my group. Terry had it with her group and told me they could not keep it running . Chris K was in that group along with a few other CTB folks.

The Auger is back at the UORTC. It may have just been cold and running on fuel, honestly not sure.

I talked with Terry this morning and she is getting their augers looked at before this next workday also.

Thanks Mike! I will be down there Wednesday. I'll pick it up and get it to Snappy to get checked out before the Feb workday!

I'll be there! I'm bringing a rock bar post hole digger (manual) and a 1 1/4 Ratchet for the nuts.

Here is an update from Terry.

Hi Everyone – The next work day is Saturday, February 21st at 9 am at the Uwharrie Hunt Camp. The main focus will be on Daniel Trail to install the barricades that are necessary there to keep traffic on the trail through the archaeology sites. Darin joined Joel Hardison and myself this week to flag these sites and figure out what we need. We’re getting more guardrail and posts purchased and delivered for this workday. There are 3 main sites where we’ll be installing guardrail and signing these areas for “No Camping” and “No Vehicles”. There will be one section along the trail that we’ll use vehicles and winches and block off the edges of the trail and short bypasses.

I will be going around on the trails and installing as many orange diamonds, arrows & trail numbers as possible to improve the marking of the trails to help people really follow the correct trail routes. I could use one person to go with me in our gator for the trail marking.

The trail maintenance contractor started on Wednesday and should be done by April 1st. We’ve got a wooden guiderail contract going out and will hopefully start at the beginning of March to replace some guardrail on Rocky Mt Loop, Slab Pile & Dickey Bell Trails with the permanent barricades of the large wooden fencing. I hope that will be done by April 1st too.

I’m not sure if Snappy will be making lunch or not but I’m sure he’ll let us know if he is soon. Thanks a lot for your help and continued volunteering. For the clubs that haven’t sent their Adopt-a-Trail forms back in I’ve attached them again. Please fill them out if you’re still interested in being trail adopters. For the folks that came last work day and said that you’re interested in adopting a trail you can fill out the forms and leave the name of the trail blank for now and when I get all of the forms back from past adoptees I can see which trails don’t have adoptees and we’ll have you take on those trails. If you have any questions about trail adoption feel free to ask.

Carolina Broncos – Will you be coming up this weekend to work on your stream crossings? Please contact me directly and let me know.

Bye - Terry

So. It has been brought up that one group of folks would like to do both Saturday and Sunday. Anyone else out there interested ? Not been confirmed but just thrown out there.

our group including chris.k used the ctb auger last work day. it would run for a few mins then die and would not restart . 20 mins later it would start. it needs a doctor for sure. Ill be at the 21st work day along with several others from TJC. also members of nc offroad will be there .

Back