Extending a Trailer

LBZ_Duramax

So, I have a 20' (18' with 2' Dovetail) equipment trailer. It has 2 5200lb 6Lug axles. I have it stripped down now for rewiring and putting new wood on. Id like to have it extended to a 27' or 28' if possible. Im not a welder but I don't mind the woodwork or wiring. Has anyone on here done this type project?

What do you plan to use it for? Likely the axles will need to be moved back as well as other changes. If you're not a welder and would be paying someone to do that work, you'd likely come out better selling what you have and getting something new.

What do you plan to use it for? Likely the axles will need to be moved back as well as other changes. If you're not a welder and would be paying someone to do that work, you'd likely come out better selling what you have and getting something new.
Yes and yes.
Done this for others. Also highly recommend selling to aquire what you really want. Dovetail, length, capacity, axle placement, and doing it solid is all relative.
It can be done but it isn't cheap.

^^^^ all true and sound advice.

I had a 16’ 7k equipment trailer but wanted 18-20’. After looking at the steel costs, time, added liability for customizing a factory trailer and knowing it still have 7k axles, it became cheaper to sell and buy exactly what I wanted. Even without changing the axles, it was more cost effective to buy new.

At that time, the used market was super hot, so my old trailer sold quickly and I had a new trailer behind my truck the next day.

I think axles would be fine. Only thing we would use it for is our 2 sxs a couple times a year. Problem with selling is that it belonged to my grandfather, after he passed we have no idea where (or if) the title is so I think it would be a hard sell.

Attachments

• IMG_8722.jpeg
    IMG_8722.jpeg
    353.8 KB · Views: 51
I think axles would be fine. Only thing we would use it for is our 2 sxs a couple times a year. Problem with selling is that it belonged to my grandfather, after he passed we have no idea where (or if) the title is so I think it would be a hard sell.
You got double RZR Turbo R money, but you're worried about difficulty of selling a $3000 trailer? Just go buy another trailer and keep the one you got.

You got double RZR Turbo R money, but you're worried about difficulty of selling a $3000 trailer? Just go buy another trailer and keep the one you got.
Just spit balling here as I don’t know the OP.

Maybe one of the following 2 is true.

A. OP has money for his toys because he’s frugal enough with money to have such

2. OP doesn’t have money to do that because he blew it all on toys. 😂

But agreed. Find a way to sell trailer and/or acquire what you need. Not knowing the weight balancing of what you’d end up at or that one time you or someone else tows a different load… might not be worth it.

If you have the VIN number, DMV, or someone could trace it. You could apply for a Lost Title.
As for extending it, I agree with selling it & buying a longer one, or custom built for you. But, my opinion on extending it, would split it anywhere between the front & the axles. Add the extension in that area. That way your not messing with the dove tail. And yes, that would add tongue weight, but that might not be a problem with the load you carry. And, it would Tow better!

my Dad and I have our own trailers. Most of the time we just pull separate ones because we may be leaving at different times. The 3-4 times a year that I could pull them both together I don’t feel justifies a new trailer. But I guess I’ll rewire and finish putting new wood on the one I have and look for a deal on a longer one.

Just spit balling here as I don’t know the OP.

Maybe one of the following 2 is true.

A. OP has money for his toys because he’s frugal enough with money to have such

2. OP doesn’t have money to do that because he blew it all on toys. 😂

But agreed. Find a way to sell trailer and/or acquire what you need. Not knowing the weight balancing of what you’d end up at or that one time you or someone else tows a different load… might not be worth it.
I feel like I’m overrun with trailers as it is, lol. The one I want to modify has been pulled once in the past year. So if it was easier to extend it than selling to buy a new one I was willing to go that route.

Back