Anyone with a Smarty to program a Ram

captain

I've swapped from an Auto to a Manual. Though It'll run and drive, the computer is obviously confused.
The few codes (auto line pressure, temperature, gear selected) are just annoying.
Anyone out there with a Smarty who can change it from Auto to Manual? Dealer is about my only other choice. And they usually won't do something like this.

Thanks.
I'll be headed from Raleigh to Asheville (I-40) early next week and then back at the end of the week (I-26/I-85).

I have one and I'm glad to help but I thought they were vin locked, meaning that to put it back on mine, I have to return yours to stock.

With Smarty you “used” to be able to “buy VIN’s”. Not sure anymore but also the last time I looked SMARTY wasn’t even in business anymore they had to change their name thanks to uncle eeepah

Thanks for the responses.

@YotaOnRocks I thought Smartys weren't vin locked and that was the (huge) advantage. Was concerned that I'd need a base file for mine too. Though I also thought it could be a "change one parameter" possibility. Learn something new each day. I have a Diablo Trinity. But it isn't nearly as versatile as the Smarty. @skyhighZJ Diablo also got sold, apparently to Holley. They used to have somewhat responsive support (albeit a tiny staff), which has all but evaporated.

If anyone has ideas of how to accomplish this without going to the dealer, please let me know. Appreciate any feedback.

Tuning software like EFI Live/HP Tuners can disable the code from ever being set. It'd be a good time to add a little power too, if you'd like.

@Croatan_Kid Just reading up on that. Does look like EFI Live is a better path.

I have a smarty S06 POD on my 2003, and it does VIN lock unless i program my truck back to stock. I already had the smarty, but when i did the auto to manual swap i emailed the dude and he sent me a file that fixed all the lights, etc. No clue if they still have that kind of service, because that was a decade ago.

Appreciate the replies. I was about to ask for more info on the EFI live and Smartys.

@83oldyoda4x4 I'm leaning to the EFI Live as I don't have to worry about a base file. Are there different version of hardware? Does anyone know which will work? This is for an '07 5.9.
@Spence So for the Smarty, if you were to unmarry the Smarty, it would essentially put your truck back to stock (an Auto)?

EFI is EFI. If it's on their supported vehicles list, it'll work for that vehicle.

The cheaper route would be to find someone locally who does tuning and get them to do what you want done.

I have changed a couple of parameters in my 2006 5.9 using HP Tuners. I already had that software for working on a couple of LS swaps. It seemed relatively straight forward since I was only checking and unchecking boxes. I want to get into the power side of it, but I am more scared of hurting it then anything.

Yours is new enough that AlfaOBD should be able to connect and you can reconfigure all sorts of things on the truck. If you have an Android phone and a decent Bluetooth dongle (not the cheap ELM327 stuff, something like an OBDLink MX+) this might be a good option.

I use it on my 2012 and can basically reconfigure nearly everything.

That may also be a good option. I wasn't sure if it was more for turning things off/on and changing certain parameters or if it could turn off certain ECM related items.

I do know it's the ticket for changing TPMS stuff on Dodges/Rams. Ridiculous that it wants 65/80 psi even when unloaded 🤦‍♂️

That may also be a good option. I wasn't sure if it was more for turning things off/on and changing certain parameters or if it could turn off certain ECM related items.

I do know it's the ticket for changing TPMS stuff on Dodges/Rams. Ridiculous that it wants 65/80 psi even when unloaded 🤦‍♂️
Yeah, my wife’s 2012 ram 2500 has this button for “light pressure” that supposedly adjusts the parameters of the TPMS. It has never worked at all so I just run the tires at 65 all around until it’s time to hook up the big trailer then I bump them up.

For the AlfaODB, does anyone know if it can change the ECM from Auto to Manual? I do remember it mentioned on a forum concerning a swap. $140 for the OBDLink MX+ and $50 for the Alfa... if it doesn't work, ouch. If it will, great! I'd rather not waste money if I'm uncertain it'll work. (don't have money to waste)

I called a bunch of performance shops. Either they don't "do Chrysler" or they were going to charge $800-1200. That's a new EFI Live v3.

And true that HP Tuners has been mentioned for doing this.

Unless i know the Alfa can make the change, I'll likely head for the Smarty or an EFI Live.

I think it's ramforum.com (or something similar) that has a thousand plus page thread about AlfaOBD and what it can do. If it can be done, the directions will be there. I have the app and have used it for several things on my 15, not sure how much it can do on your truck to help justify the cost though.

Duane

Check this thread and ping this guy, looks like he did your exact swap and uses AlfaOBD. 48re to g56 swap electronics guide for 06/07

I have never plugged into an '06-'09 HD so I am unsure what options are shown in there. If I get a minute today I will go poke around in my 2012 HD (Auto) and see if there are transmission options somewhere but that would not necessarily translate into your truck.

@OnlyOneDR Checked. No dice on the AlfaOBD changing the tranny type.
So, I've ordered an Efi Live AutoCal from 5-9 Diesel. Getting a manual base file as well. Should be headed down a paved path now.

Thought I'd write the follow up.

Bought an EFI Live AutoCal from Rob at 5-9 Diesel. He was $100 cheaper than everyone else. He also sent along the manual transmission base file at no charge. Good guy to work with.

Flashed the computer per his instructions. Truck now thinks it has a manual transmission. Simple as that.

Going EFI Live allows me to create tunes vs the Smarty. Admittedly, the Smarty comes with some pre-canned tunes. But I'll be able to hone the EFI Live to where it smokes less (my preference).

Thanks to everyone for the input and advice. Good learning experience.

Back