4x Focus...

NC4x4

aimg.nc4x4.net_wp_2011_09_toysforrocksmini_260x89.jpg

Doug Haynes (aka Turtle Mechanic) and his wife, Lisa, wanted to do something for their community. They collected toys, a bunch of black garbage bags full, and took them to Gray, TN, for the Marines. He's recounted the story many times in the six years since.

"They said, 'Throw them on the 18 wheeler.' I said, What??"

"They are going to Knoxville to be handed out."

"I said, How do they know who needs them in Johnson County."

"The reply was, 'They know who needs them'."

"I took my toys back and started Toys for Rocks so they actually stay within the community."

This year, the Toy Run got some well-deserved local press, in an article posted at B.A.D.Idea News of Mountain City and Johnson County, TN:

“I have met a lot of friends on the internet and at East Coast OHV (off highway vehicle) areas,” said Haynes. “We all share a passion for being ‘in the woods’ with our trucks, jeeps and buggies (purpose-built off road vehicles) and for taking care of kids that need a ‘boost’ and a smile.

I decided to have a toy run to collect toys for needy kids and since motorcycle groups and such did toy drives, I figured what the heck, I'll give it a go.”

Haynes approached Paul Brown, owner of the Callalantee OHV facility on Furnace Creek Road in Johnson County, TN.

“When I told him about it, he just told me to go for it,” said Haynes.

Thus, Toys for Rocks was born.

“I got on the internet and went to the East Coasts best off road forum (NC4X4.com) and made a request for people to come out to Callalantee, bring a new unwrapped toy and get to play on the rocks for free,” explained Haynes. “That’s why the name is Toys for Rocks.”

After he came back from Gray with the bags of toys, Doug set about trying to give them away. Someone told him to talk to Flo Bellamy, director of the Mountain City/Johnson County Community Center, that she would be able to help. “We have been a winning combination since then,” said Haynes.

aimg.nc4x4.net_wp_2011_09_HPIM1374_260x195.jpg

The first event drew about 100 people.

“My wife cooked dinner for 55 people as a thank you for coming out (BBQ sandwich, her special beans and warm potato salad).

“Six years later, on August 6 this year, she fed 200+ people a free meal as a thank you and we had over 500 people and 250+ vehicles.”

Normal admission into the park is $10 and “…people drive four to six hours one way and bring multiple toys so they can save $10,” he said.

Haynes says this toy run for the kids of Johnson County is now the August trail ride for all of the big groups on the East Coast.

“Most folks now laugh and say they come for the beans, and bring toys as a thank you.”

Haynes and his wife, known on the forum as ‘Team Turtle,’ have the support and sponsorship from many local businesses to help offset the meal's cost.

The new, unwrapped toys help the community center give smiles and joy at Christmas to children in Johnson County, TN. All toys stay in the county and help those here that need the help.

The 2011 Toys For Rocks event collected lots of toys and over $1000 for the purchase of additional toys, shoes, coats and other things needed by the children in the community.

aimg.nc4x4.net_wp_2011_09_DSC_2351.jpg

aimg.nc4x4.net_wp_2011_09_DSC_2271.jpg

Thanks to Paul Poplin, aka redneckCJ5guy, and the rest of the Big Dixie Boggers for the ride and the opportunity to take some great photos.

Back