Lowboy vs deckover gooseneck

mushroomax

What are the pros and cons of each? Looking at purchasing a 26ft-28ft gooseneck in the next few months...lowboy would not be dovetailed.

Anyone with a lowboy under 30ft drag that much?

If I recall, some deckovers with a dovetail have about the same rear deck height as a low boy. At my old job I pulled a 32 foot lowboy. It would drag when turning into 15-20 degree drives and while crossing a field terrace. If you got a lowboy, depending on your rig width..make sure they have drive over fenders. I would research the maker before I bought one. Some had frame issues. Also I saw someone fab up rollers to put on the tail of a horse trailer to keep it from dragging. Just a thought. My personal preference is a deckover because they seem more ridged and have more deck space. Good luck.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I had a 25 ft that was in between a deck over and low boy. The fenders stuck up maybe 4-6" through the deck and were drive over. It also had a dove tail. I think I would prefer a true lowboy for the stability. I had a super low single hauler bumper pull that handled mountain roads like you wouldn't believe.

The only bad thing, to me, about a lowboy/equipment trailer is the right side tires will usually be cleaning out a ditch because they're so wide.

The only bad thing, to me, about a lowboy/equipment trailer is the right side tires will usually be cleaning out a ditch because they're so wide.

The axles are the same width.

I prefer low boy trailers because they catch less wind.

What are the pros and cons of each? Looking at purchasing a 26ft-28ft gooseneck in the next few months...lowboy would not be dovetailed.

Anyone with a lowboy under 30ft drag that much?

Did you give up on Russ buying a trailer so you're just gonna haul his ass around too:flipoff2:

Greg Norton has 2 LB's. He has multiple styles of trailers behind his truck on a regular basis. I believe you have his number.

No way Josh, Russ can get his own damn trailer. In addition for general purpose this is so Chris or Nate can bring their camper out and I trailer whoever's rig.

One thing someone pointed out today a downside of a lowboy is vehicle tires resting on the trailer fenders if it's not wide enough or the wheelbases of the trailered rigs are just right for that to happen....I don't like that idea. Has anyone had this problem before?

In an enclosed yes. You could easily build your own fenders out of 1/4 plate and never have to worry about such(Sam did this). There's several different ways you could avoid that happening.

Lowboy, extra width, home built drive over fenders, no dove, 7200# axles and some big E rated tires gets my vote.

I like the idea with the trade off for lodging:beer:

Back