Broken Manifold Studs

BigBody79

I'm replacing the manifolds on a 04 Tribute. I've got just two broken studs. I've got a right angle air drill and i've got some easy outs.

However, I'm having a very difficult time with getting the drill bit centered and keeping it that way.

Any advice?

I can weld. One is right at the lip so I could possible weld there. The other is probably 1/8 to 3/16th deep past the surface.

I'll see what I can do with a center punch and go from there. I'll put all my bits through the drill dr. and see what I can do.

Believe it or not if a regular drill won't touch the broken bolt I've had luck using masonry bits. Start small and keep stepping bigger till its just shy of the threads.

Welding may be the easiest way though. That's what I'd try first

Believe it or not if a regular drill won't touch the broken bolt I've had luck using masonry bits. Start small and keep stepping bigger till its just shy of the threads.

Welding may be the easiest way though. That's what I'd try first

I've used masonry bits to drill through hardened steel too. Works like a charm. Drilled a broken leaf spring stud out of my D60 that way.

Harbor Freight to the rescue. Used the left handed bits. One came right out the other had a few turn of easy out the came right out. Thanks for all the advice.

aimages.tapatalk_cdn.com_15_11_27_4ba0addf5fc0041f76a67995248da2d3.jpg

Back