Cherokee axle swap, 3:55 to 4:10

Jeff B

Thanos was right
What axles do I need to look for to do this swap?

Rear~ I was told a ford 8.8 had 4:10 do not remember what vehicle to look for in the junk yard.

Front~ am I better to re gear or is there a specific vehicle that I can swap out of?

Thanks

For the 8.8 you want to look for it out of an exploder, not sure of the year range though. The front you may be able to find a hp30 already geared 4.10 or just regear.

Front Dana 30 is 4.10 in most 4 cylinder jeeps. Can get a disc brake 410 gear 8.8 out of 90's 4x4 explorer .
Thats what I was looking for. Will the D30 from a tj bolt up in an xj? My xj is a 99

TJ D30 will bolt right up to an XJ, keep in mind it is low pinion though.

Well that wont really work well than as I am HP now. So I guess I am re gearing the front & finding a exploder 8.8 for the rear.

Thanks for the info guys

98+ for the disk brake 8.8 explorer rear. If you have a several donors to pull from look for one with an open carrier, it's stronger than the LS and also the LS will not support a locker so you'd have to find a different carrier anyway.

98+ for the disk brake 8.8 explorer rear. If you have a several donors to pull from look for one with an open carrier, it's stronger than the LS and also the LS will not support a locker so you'd have to find a different carrier anyway.

No there is a locker for the ls. Pacific ED on NAXJA just got one. I think it's made by Powertrax.

Also to get 4.10's you would need to find an XJ with a 4 cylinder in it. As they get newer they get harder to find.

Last edited:
No there is a locker for the ls. Pacific ED on NAXJA just got one. I think it's made by Powertrax.

Also to get 4.10's you would need to find an XJ with a 4 cylinder in it. As they get newer they get harder to find.

Will this be a hp D30 from the 4cyl xj?

Awesome, Thanks!

Awesome, Thanks!

I have also seen 3.73's in 4 cyl xj's so don't assume it is. They are getting harder to find in the bone yards around here. Honestly the pre 97's had a lot more 4 cyl with most of them being in the early models.

95-01 explorers all had disk brakes, as did the mountaineers up to 01. All of these are also 31 spline.

Back