jeep xj 9" swap HELP!

JP_ProAm

Looking at swapping my Chrysler 8.25 for a ford 9. There seem to be a lot of different options between the 9". Is there any special one I need to be looking for. I'd hate to go buy one and not be able to use it. Any useful information would be great help.

What are you wanting to end up with as far as width, bolt pattern and spline count? What size tires and what is your wheeling style?
A 29 spline 8.25 is a pretty solid axle

Any 9" is a straight toward swap. If you're keeping the 30 front, you can also go 8.8 rear to have same lug pattern. A car 9" will probably be to narrow (out of my realm). A truck 9 will be 65" wms and a van 9 is 68". I've wheeled both of those axles and they took everything I could throw at it with 35-37's and a compleyely stock 9 even with a non N case was the only thing in my rig that DIDNT break. IMO, its pointless to go with a 9 unless you're going HP 44 front.

I really don't get to wheel much due to work and children, most I get it out is when it snows. I put a Rusty's long arm kit a few yrs back, and now bump steers bad, so I don't really drive on the road any more. As for the 9", my neighbor has one laying in his yard and I've heard a lot people use them. I would like to have the benefit of limited slip, but I don't know if this one has it. Lockers are so dam expensive, I was thinking this would be a cheaper option for me. Two my gear is to high, I can barely run fourth gear. Money, money, money!

Last edited:
As was stated... 8.25 is a pretty good axle.

I wouldn't swap anything in, until you're ready to spend some $$ on lockers, gears and such. A free 9" isn't free by the time you get it up to strength. (Especially if the one you have is a 28 spline!)

And IMHO, an 8.8 would be a better fit, less expensive swap.

Back