98 xj stutters under load

GotWood

Sayer of Fact
I've got a 98 xj that has a bad hiccup when I accelerate. I've changed plugs and such, repaired a bad O² sensor lead, but still no change. It runs fine at idle, no CEL, and if I floor it it runs fine, just happens at 1/2-3/4 throttle.

Here is a short video I made today. If you listen you can her the motor pulse under acceleration, around 2-3k rpm.

Glad you made the video/recording! I don't recognize that sound, under the circumstances you have. Guess with the plugs, you changed the Dist cap, & rotor. I'm wondering if it could be a vacuum leak?
You have No check engine light? It should be throwing codes!

No codes, no vac leaks that I can find. I do have a cracked header at the collector but so does everyone else. I need to do some fuel pressure checks, but it runs fine at full throttle.

in video u said 99 but post says 98...which is it since one is coil pack and one is distributor...if its coil pack..i just had similar problem in my 00 and the cam sensor was the culprit.

when idle..if you snap throttle real quick does it putter also when rev up instantly like it should...if it hesitates on snapping throttle..fuel pressure and TPS would be good place to start tests

u get anywhere with ur jeep?

Back