Xtra Jeep Build Thread

jeepinmatt

..l.
I picked up this 99 Cherokee Sport 4.0 4 door with 5 speed manual last Friday. It has 210k miles and lived in Virginia and NC its whole life, so generally rust free other than a few little spots at pinch panels (and whatever shat-tastic paint is on the receiver hitch). Exterior is in decent shape, but has a few dings and scratches. As it came:
IMG_2319.jpeg
IMG_2324.jpeg
IMG_2321.jpeg
IMG_2322.jpeg
IMG_2323.jpeg
IMG_2325.jpeg

IMG_2330.jpeg
IMG_2331.jpeg

Finally got some time to clean up the exterior today.
IMG_2371.jpeg
IMG_2370.jpeg
IMG_2369.jpeg
IMG_2368.jpeg
IMG_2367.jpeg
IMG_2366.jpeg

Paint looks decent from 20 feet, but is a bit rougher once you get closer. Especially on the hood. Not sure what I’m gonna do about the paint. Definitely not high on the priority list, but my wife had a Moss Green Metallic ZJ when we first met and it was a factory color on XJs (but pearl, not metallic), so I think that would look great on an XJ…
1708317718274.png

Plan for now is to get it cleaned up real good, fix all the little issues, do the typical maintenance that comes with a 25 year old vehicle, and do a few tasteful mods.

Here’s the plan:
16” stock XJ alloy wheels and ~1” spacers
31” aggressive ATs
2.5” lift
Newer shocks
Swap the D35 for a Chrysler 8.25
Replace the 3.07 gears with some 3.55s
Upgrade the steering to something a little beefier than stock
Maybe eventually do an e-locker in the rear
New headliner
Clean interior, maybe even replace the carpet
Get a sweet front bumper from WarriorWelding

Then just drive it and take the family camping.

Yesterday I spent a big chunk of the day taking things apart, ripping off the headliner, vacuuming, cleaning, pressure washing, etc.
IMG_2335.jpeg
IMG_2336.jpeg
IMG_2341.jpeg
IMG_2346.jpeg
IMG_2348.jpeg
IMG_2352.jpeg
IMG_2355.jpeg
IMG_2356.jpeg
IMG_2357.jpeg

Even got the wife out there with her upholstery cleaner.
IMG_2353.jpeg

Also redid one corner plastic with the heat gun.
IMG_2358.jpeg
IMG_2360.jpeg

Not looking forward to the front bumper :laughing:

After all that cleaning and vacuuming, I think I’m just gonna replace the carpet. :rolleyes: It’s $265 for the full set from Rock Auto, and then that stank is gone and I don’t have to worry about mold or whatever from not getting the padding dry enough.

Anything else I should do while I have the interior stripped down?

Thats a fairly clean xj. What I would suggest doing is when you lift the rear go with a shackle relocation bracket to get your 2 inches of lift. It will improve the shackle angle and give you a better ride. I'm assuming the bumper also reinforces where the steering box bolts go so you will also need a new steering box spacer because the factory aluminum one will probably fall apart. Doing the fan clutch upgrade is a great idea to help improve air flow in the xj engine bay since it is sealed up pretty good.

Make sure to check where the rear bump stops are for rust since the bump stop plate bolts to the unibody and traps water and dirt. Also check to make sure your fan shroud is fully intact still. I've seen where the top part is still in place but the bottom half is completely mia.

Last thing is I'm pretty sure no one makes an e-locker for a chrysler 8.25. You might want to considered an arb or lsd.

As you have the interior pulled apart I would go ahead and install the jcr center console bracket. Before you install the front seat back in check the lower frame on the seat where the bolts go because they like to crack.

@Keith1138, thats a ton of great info, thank you!

What I would suggest doing is when you lift the rear go with a shackle relocation bracket to get your 2 inches of lift. It will improve the shackle angle and give you a better ride.
I'll look into the shackle relocation option. The jeep came with some new parts still in the box, includeing stock rear springs and shackles, Spicer front balljoints, and a few other things I can't remember.

Doing the fan clutch upgrade is a great idea to help improve air flow in the xj engine bay since it is sealed up pretty good. ... Also check to make sure your fan shroud is fully intact still. I've seen where the top part is still in place but the bottom half is completely mia.
I assume it is supposed to have a mechanical fan and an electric fan since it has AC? The mechanical fan is in place and working, but the electric fan is MIA. I have one in my Rockauto cart for like $45.

Make sure to check where the rear bump stops are for rust since the bump stop plate bolts to the unibody and traps water and dirt.
Good call. It needs new bumpstops anyway, so that'll be a good time to inspect and remedy that if necessary.

Last thing is I'm pretty sure no one makes an e-locker for a chrysler 8.25. You might want to considered an arb or lsd.
What about an Ox Locker? I like the idea of pure mechanical.

As you have the interior pulled apart I would go ahead and install the jcr center console bracket.
I'm used to the unbolted center console that floats around in my TJ, so I may just stick with the factory plastic for now. I like the idea, but $90 is a bit pricey.

Before you install the front seat back in check the lower frame on the seat where the bolts go because they like to crack.
Nah, they are good. My kids have been sitting and jumping on the seats in the garage floor for 2 days now and those mounts are sturdy enough to dig into concrete :laughing: :(

@Keith1138, thats a ton of great info, thank you!

I'll look into the shackle relocation option. The jeep came with some new parts still in the box, includeing stock rear springs and shackles, Spicer front balljoints, and a few other things I can't remember.

I assume it is supposed to have a mechanical fan and an electric fan since it has AC? The mechanical fan is in place and working, but the electric fan is MIA. I have one in my Rockauto cart for like $45.

Good call. It needs new bumpstops anyway, so that'll be a good time to inspect and remedy that if necessary.

What about an Ox Locker? I like the idea of pure mechanical.

I'm used to the unbolted center console that floats around in my TJ, so I may just stick with the factory plastic for now. I like the idea, but $90 is a bit pricey.

Nah, they are good. My kids have been sitting and jumping on the seats in the garage floor for 2 days now and those mounts are sturdy enough to dig into concrete :laughing: :(
As far as fans it should have mechanical fan with a clutch and an electric fan. The efan comes on with ac and if the jeep gets too warm. The efan also acts as rest of the shroud to force air through the radiator. The upgrade fan clutch is off of zj v8 I think.

As far as lockers I think ox does still make one for the 8.25.

I like it man, even better it’s a Man U El
Yep, that's what prompted the purchase. Now I just gotta learn to drive a stick!

While you have the interior panels out, paint them. The "Plastic Bumper " paint comes in two colors, last I bought any. Looks like it would be a good match. Or just try the Plastic paint. Looks like a great find, but can't see you needing another vehicle. Love the tailpipe hanger! LOL The tire mark on the concrete; was that a Burnout, or a slide? Hand brake must need attention, since you placed the mobile one behind the rear tire. :clap:

I had a DD/light wheeler 01 XJ few years ago before selling it to another member here. My suspension mods made it cruise down the road at 80 and wheel nicely as well.
Here is what I did: Metalcloak 3" coils, 2" AAL on worn slap out OEM leafs, shackle relocation bracket, fixed lowers to correct caster and pinion angle. Some disconnects and longer brake lines.
I think I installed a better track bar eventually But I just redrilled a hole 3/4" over from the OEM one. Rusty's "white" eco shocks
Ran 31's on TJ Rubi wheels.
It was a great, great Jeep to drive and do local trails with. Rode like a champ.

Looks like a great find, but can't see you needing another vehicle.
Just hush now will ya?!?!?!

Love the tailpipe hanger! LOL
Yeah, that was a custom touch by the PO I suppose. Hanger is still there and can easily be tacked back on. It has a newer muffler, so I'm assuming it just got broken in that process and nobody had a welder.

Hand brake must need attention, since you placed the mobile one behind the rear tire.
Hand brake works great, but I wanted to put a safety measure in place when I was removing the console since you have to manipulate the shifter and the parking brake to get everything out.

The tire mark on the concrete; was that a Burnout, or a slide?
Definitely a 3000rpm clutch drop. That's half the reason I wanted a manual! :D

Another vote for the shackle boxes in the rear. They make them with “no lift” considering you got the leafs that you did. It’s a super easy mod and makes the ride quality way mo betta.

Give Andy at Ironman4x4 a call on the shackle boxes. He has no lift and lift options.

Back