Inlaws going through separation.

All my wife has ever wanted was a "normal" family. She's never wanted money or help, just togetherness. For them to come pick up our daughter from school one day and surprise her or show up for one of her soccer games or just anything really. My BIL said something recently that really hit me. He said " for the last 5 years or more, I've been living like they are already gone"
From all I've heard here, I would not allow my kids alone with them for one second.
And your BIL is dead on with his thought process.
Both of these people are extremely toxic and won't change and you've confirmed it time and again. Cut them loose and spend your time making your family unit stronger.

You should send them both a link to this thread.

Man - I feel for you guys and it hits close to home.
My sister and I talk all the time and just wish our kids had a normal existence. Normal grandparents. Normalcy. Something we never had due to our family's different but similar dysfunction. My sister is a brilliant, successful, amazing woman - what she and I came to settle on a few years ago - we can't force our parents to change no matter how much we wish we could. All we can do is accept our reality and change the cycle. To learn from the failures of our parents and be the grand parents to our eventual grandchildren that we wish our kids have. Fretting over the failures of others wont change them - so we resolved to let it shape us and our actions.
I think this right here is what my wife is slowly learning. She had in her mind for a long time that they can be changed and is now finding out that they have no desire to do so. It really does suck because a lot of my memories as a child, especially at Christmas revolved around my Grandparents and the traditions that were set in place.

From all I've heard here, I would not allow my kids alone with them for one second.
And your BIL is dead on with his thought process.
Both of these people are extremely toxic and won't change and you've confirmed it time and again. Cut them loose and spend your time making your family unit stronger.
My wife and I have talked about how even now if they did come up and ask to watch our Daughter, we wouldn't let them. All my FIL would do anyways is complain.

I want to revive this thread to see if anyone can throw anymore ideas out. So currently it looks like my FIL is having himself an affair. We don't know for sure, but there is certainly a relationship going on with my FIL and a recent widow in their neighborhood. He is over there for hours at a time, usually come home late and drunk. My MIL has basically given up. She told my wife that she has just accepted that this is how her life is. There is no love, no communication other than bickering back and forth, and probably a lot of verbal abuse on his end towards her. She doesn't talk to him, gives him no attention, etc. She has no one to talk to except my wife and my wife doesn't want the stress but understands that her mom has no one else. My BIL has basically written them off and doesn't have much communication with either of them except the occasional "How are you?" They are just at a loss as to what we can/should do. I don't think the FIL knows that we (wife, me, BIL) know what's going on and if he found out, I'm sure he would take it out on my MIL somehow. Its amazing that when I am around him, he will tell me that he goes here and drives here and goes and hangs out with these people across the street, but has never stepped foot on the soccer field to watch his Granddaughter or any of his other Grandchildren on their birthdays and wants to give us money to buy presents FOR them. My wife looks at me on what we can do, and I just don't know. I try to convince her to try and distance herself from them as much as possible and that she might need to cut them out of her life and she looked at me with tears in her eyes and said "But that's my Mommy and my Daddy" and that one hurt me. I can imagine how hard it must be for everyone involved but I know my wife has always taken up for them and made excuses for them her whole life and I think that's part of them problem. I feel like my MIL should be spending every waking moment researching and reaching out to anyone to get some help and find a way out. I think her biggest problem, is that she has no money expect for what she gets in disability and she doesn't think she can live on her own (I think this stems from being with my FIL since she was 17 and doesn't feel like she can cope without him or someone's help) and has nowhere to go, but even if she goes somewhere with someone, she is going to rely heavily on them to do everything for her, I mean when she was living with my BIL and SIL, they were fixing her 3 meals a day and bringing them to her.

Edit: I have thought really hard about possibly sending my FIL and text and timing the delivery to really early morning while he is still sober and before he starts drinking and just laying some things out on the table, but I just don't want this to start anything unnecessary that could make anything worse, but then I think, what relationship is there to salvage at this point? I have also thought about telling my wife to give them an ultimatum. Either figure this stuff out on your own and do what yall need to do to be happy people or don't talk to me.

Last edited:
Your wife should go talk to a therapist

Your mil should as well, I’m sure the fil probably won’t go but at least she can
I have told my wife that as well and she has mentioned it before.

MIL won't go because she will claim she is "too sick" Which has always been her go-to excuse for when she doesn't want to do something., but a couple years ago she was physically going to see a therapist at least once a week...

And that would be a BIG hell naw from the FIL - He's response would be something like "Therapy is for people who need it and are unhappy"

MIL needs a plan and a reason to keep going.. When she thought getting an apartment for herself was an actually possibility, you would have thought she had been healed. Going places, sounded different on the phone, was getting out and sitting outside.

Sounds like you need to beat his ass. And beat her ass for putting up with him.

Man I feel for you guys.

Especially you. I would recommend you read a book called 'Boundaries'...its set in a business mode but was hugely helpful - dare I say life changing - for me in dealing with my wife's family drama.

In short I would encourage you to support your wife and her emotional needs but to learn to have no thoughts or feelings about her families actions. You cant control it and its a no win situation for you emotionally.

Note I didnt say you couldnt help mechanically - just to detach emotionally.

The MIL is a grown woman, she has to make big girl decisions and you and your wife have to support those - even if you disagree.

Dude sounds like a loser, but we are also getting half the story. Maybe the stress of caring for her and the emotional toll it took on him lead him to drink as a coping mechanism. I dont know. I feel for all involved and I'll say a prayer for your strength and wisdom to support your wife.
Still believe everything I typed here applies.

I just don't know. I try to convince her to try and distance herself from them as much as possible and that she might need to cut them out of her life and she looked at me with tears in her eyes and said "But that's my Mommy and my Daddy" and that one hurt me. I can imagine how hard it must be for everyone involved

And my response would be - just because you share DNA doesn't preclude them from being a piece of shit nor does it obligate you to be a part of their existence.

Either figure this stuff out on your own and do what yall need to do to be happy people or don't talk to me.

Still believe everything I typed here applies.
The issue is that the MIL is not making any decisions. She is looking to everyone else for that. She isn't even trying to further herself at all and I am sure her depression has alot to do with that and is just not motivated to get out of the chitty situation she is in.

The issue is that the MIL is not making any decisions. She is looking to everyone else for that. She isn't even trying to further herself at all and I am sure her depression has alot to do with that and is just not motivated to get out of the chitty situation she is in.
Then that is a CHOICE it is HER choice and she is CHOOSING how to live her life.
You dont like the choices she is making but she is an adult and is entitled to make them.

I go back to the recommendation on 'Boundaries'.

Imagine a friend being emotionally distraught because you work in a bank. Everyday they stress over and make themselves sick because you work in a bank. For analogy sake lets assume you don't love the bank but don't hate it enough to make a change. The unhappiness is so small that you don't desire to effort to change. So why should your friend be distraught over your choice that you don't desire to change.

Same deal here. You disagree with the life choices she has made. You wish you could change those choices. She doesn't care enough to make a change. Until she cares enough to make the change you cant force her. You cant make an addict get sober until they want to. Even if unhappiness is their addiction.

Then that is a CHOICE it is HER choice and she is CHOOSING how to live her life.
You dont like the choices she is making but she is an adult and is entitled to make them.

I go back to the recommendation on 'Boundaries'.

Imagine a friend being emotionally distraught because you work in a bank. Everyday they stress over and make themselves sick because you work in a bank. For analogy sake lets assume you don't love the bank but don't hate it enough to make a change. The unhappiness is so small that you don't desire to effort to change. So why should your friend be distraught over your choice that you don't desire to change.

Same deal here. You disagree with the life choices she has made. You wish you could change those choices. She doesn't care enough to make a change. Until she cares enough to make the change you cant force her. You cant make an addict get sober until they want to. Even if unhappiness is their addiction.
Damn... I know you're right, but I just want my wife to draw the line and try and be happy and not let this overtake her entire life. I told her last night that I did not want her to look back in 20 years when all of this is said and done and regret spending the last 20 years of your life worried about their life and not enjoying your own.

Sorry for taking over the conversation...

The hard part - for you - is understanding the same conversation you are having with your wife about her mom, you have to have with yourself about your wife.
Its her life, her choice, she may choose to value and prioritize her mother and father over you. That may suck if so. She may choose them over your children. You don't get to set or make her choices, you do get to set and make your responses to those choices.

Just be mentally prepared, based on your descriptions, your wife may value her role as daughter more than her role as mother. That may be a non-negotiable for you (it would for me)...

Her mother sounds manipulative and trying to press her into doing what she wants but doesn't want to put the effort into doing. If she wanted something else she would do it. And sounds like your only getting one side of the story. She could be just as verbally abusive to her husband as you say he is to her.

I wouldnt touch that situation with a 10ft pole. And thats from someone who cut his parents out of my life almost 3 years ago for the way they treated me and my wife and tried to manipulate every situation into them being the victims.

Just be mentally prepared, based on your descriptions, your wife may value her role as daughter more than her role as mother. That may be a non-negotiable for you (it would for me)...
This when my wife and I started dating she ALWAYS put her parents first. When we got serious about marriage i told her its not me or them, but OUR lifes come before theirs. WE make decision not you and them.

No lie it almost ended until she talked to her parents about it...... and they agreed with my view point and told her they had to do the same when they got married.

Sorry for taking over the conversation...

The hard part - for you - is understanding the same conversation you are having with your wife about her mom, you have to have with yourself about your wife.
Its her life, her choice, she may choose to value and prioritize her mother and father over you. That may suck if so. She may choose them over your children. You don't get to set or make her choices, you do get to set and make your responses to those choices.

I don't think this at all. She just wants to find a way to have it all. I think she just doesn't want to give up believing in her parents and I think its really hard for her to do.

Last edited:
I don't think this at all. She just wants to find a way to have it all. I think she just doesn't want to give up believing in her parents and I think its really hard for her to do.
I understand you dont think it today.
I'm just suggesting that at some point you will make a choice whether you allow her parents bad behavior to impact you and your family or whether you choose to cut ties.

Every time you wife is distressed, devastated, sad, distraught over her parents behavior - does that take away from her ability to bring joy to your daughter? Are there ever times where she cant play with your daughter or be happy and present in the moment because she is so consumed by her father's alcoholism, or her mothers shenanigans?

If so then in those instances she is choosing being a daughter over being a mother and wife. Her unhappiness over her parents drama is more important to her than your daughters (and your) happiness.

If it wasnt - she would have cut the unhappiness out of her life to ensure the happiness of y'all.

At some point as it builds and spirals you may reach your breaking point.

That Farmer's commercial seems relevant here.... I feel for ya.

Again - I'd recommend the book Boundaries...

So who or what would be cheating with the FIL? Must be a real prize! It can't be that hard to get a little bit of evidence...
But again, they're drawing y'all in and impacting your marriage.
BIL seems to have it figured out.
Your wife needs to read Ron's book or get some counseling...IF you could find one worth a crap.

And my response would be - just because you share DNA doesn't preclude them from being a piece of shit nor does it obligate you to be a part of their existence.

This. We went no contact with my biological father 3 years ago, and I have not regretted it.

So who or what would be cheating with the FIL? Must be a real prize! It can't be that hard to get a little bit of evidence...
But again, they're drawing y'all in and impacting your marriage.
BIL seems to have it figured out.
Your wife needs to read Ron's book or get some counseling...IF you could find one worth a crap.
Someone who just recently lost their husband and is VERY VERY vulnerable apparently, because ick!
I'm sure some things have gone down with him and her based off of what he has said to me, but he hasn't come right out and said it.

My BIL though says that even though he has basically cut them off, he still deals with the guilt of doing so.

I am going to look up this book, my wife just isn't a reader though.

I love threads like this bc when I'm pissed or aggravated at my family they remind me it could be worse.

100% for boundaries.

My advice continues to be to stay out of it absolutely all you can. Support your wife, but don't this cancer spread to your own household. It will.
I have sort of taken on the role of "keeping my wife grounded" during this time. I have to let her know when I can feel the manipulation coming on. One day, her dad will send her a text about a song about him being lonely, the next text might be him talking about him being "a housewife with a handgun" and then the next day (this morning) sends a sweet text talking about her having a birthday in the month of May. My wife's birthday is this Saturday and I can GUARENTEE, they will not show up to anything. Will probably send a text, but that's about it. So I have to keep her level headed because they both like to play games and reel you in. "Oh you want to come over and visit me and spend time with me just out of the kindness of your heart? Well stop by Mcdonalds and pick me and your mom up some food and do you mind stopping by walgreens and picking up a prescription?" I think my wife is slowly starting to distance herself, but cutting them off completely is going to be very hard for her especially for her Mom. She knows that her Mom doesn't have anyone to talk to and I know her Mom guilts her all the time.

I'm super busy at work so I'll do a better reply later. As harsh as this will sound, it's true.
Your wife made a vow to YOU, not to her mom who chooses to stay in that relationship. Pretty sure you're a bible believer and you know the scripture regarding "leave, cleave and weave"
"Leave your family behind, cleave to one another, weave a life together"

I'm super busy at work so I'll do a better reply later. As harsh as this will sound, it's true.
Your wife made a vow to YOU, not to her mom who chooses to stay in that relationship. Pretty sure you're a bible believer and you know the scripture regarding "leave, cleave and weave"
"Leave your family behind, cleave to one another, weave a life together"
Yeah I know... it is hard. I just wonder if we leave it up to the MIL to "figure it out and pull up her britches and do something" how will it turn out if the MIL's really only outlet (my wife) suddenly cuts her off. My wife told me the other night every time she hears sirens, her stomach drops because she thinks "what if?" (we don't live that far from her parents)

Back