ZJ rear UCAs as XJ LACs?

Cheerwineman

So I have been surviving at 3" of lift with stock LCAs in my cherokee, but I am about to pop up to 4.5" so I am going to get longer control arms. My roommate has some zj rear upper control arms laying around that I can use. Research online makes me think they will work, maybe a little long actually, I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this setup, either it working or making jeep explode?

Can't speak to your direct question but below is what I did because after jumping from 3" to 4.5 in quick succession the one order I had from the boss (wife) was to do it right that last time and stop messing around "saving money" but spending all my time in the driveway. I thank her for it now.

It's not cheap but you can get just the long arm portion of the RC kit. That's what I did and I like the ride plus beefier cross member a lot. They don't advertise on the web but any of their pieces can be bought separately. So for that matter you can get their short arm setup and know you have one designed for that height. I've found you can sell those pieces on here relatively quickly too without losing too much. I did with my 3' lift.
Call Chris at jeep add ons for good savings and free shipping too. He's always gotten me best prices and good service. He's at extension 1884.

When I researched my 4.5" lift I didn't read much if anything positive about running any setup that wasn't adjustable. The rear zj lca's are listed in that xj comprehensive jy parts list (seen it posted multiple places below is just one) as adding 2". Not sure what you'll do about uppers. I didn't see anything about running UCA's from a ZJ but I didn't look.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep...budget-builds-junkyard-parts-will-fit-xj.html

Did this with my uncles zj with 4" of lift. Took stock lower rear arms and put the on the front for the lowers. They are 1" longer then front lower arms. Then I took 2 sets of stock upper front arms and cut them welded them and sleeved them to make them 3/4" longer. Works perfectly for the light weight trails that he does

From an mj forum but should apply.
Lift vs. Control Arm Lengths

LIFT......LCAs......UCAs

Stock...15.75"....15.00"
2"........15.92"....14.88"
3"........16.09"....14.92"
4"........16.33"....15.03"
4.5".....16.47"....15.11"
5"........16.62"....15.21"
6"........16.97"....15.44"
7"........17.36"....15.74"
8"........17.81"....16.09"