ZJ 8.8 SWAP

JSJJ388

GREEN GREMLIN
My best man got me an 8.8 from a 91 explorer as a wedding gift. I knew I picked for some reason... Anyway, I see threads all over for swapping 8.8 to a xj, but not seeing much on swapping to a zj. Any of yall that have done it have any pointers or tips on which kit to use? Keep in mind Im on a newlywed/just bought a house budget, so bang for the buck is critical. Seems like the perfect project to break in my new shop.

I'd look in the direction of TJ 8.8 kit and make the small adjustments as needed (if any). Artec is always my go-to if funds available.

I'd look in the direction of TJ 8.8 kit and make the small adjustments as needed (if any). Artec is always my go-to if funds available.
Ill look into a tj kit. Just finished up your build thread. Wow... badass rig man.

the new house and shop.

80bd47b9cb4e46e86185a6b3ba7176c6l-m0xd-w1020_h770_q80.jpg

80bd47b9cb4e46e86185a6b3ba7176c6l-m14xd-w1020_h770_q80.jpg

NICE Joel! And congrats on the wedding (if I haven't already said that)
Thanks rq.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Aftec is good! And have used a lot of their stuff. I used Iron Rock Off-road for my 8.8 brackets I put in my 97 ZJ. They were beef and welded up without any grinding or "fitting". They have a couple holes for adjustment of the track bar in them too.

Correct me if I'm wrong here but I was always with the understanding that the bracket placement was the same between ZJ and TJ?
It's pretty close if not exact. Not sure 100% on a zj, but a wj I did a 8.8 swap on it more or less fell right into place. Of couse, I didn't exactly have a TJ rear sitting there to go off of either.

Thanks @Jody Treadway I wasn't sure but they looked close. I've only ever owned XJ or ZJ platforms with varying levels of axle from stock to tons but never made the actual measurements between bracket sets of a ZJ/TJ.

I went with clayton bracketry for my ZJ 8.8 swap, and had no complaints.

Boy, that truss kit suuuurrrreeee looks purty, But will probably just get the brackets.

Boy, that truss kit suuuurrrreeee looks purty, But will probably just get the brackets.
Yep ythat's Artec. :huggy:
I'd be rocking a lot more of their stuff but opted to keep it local. ECGS is great. I'm a huge fan of the Barnes ultra100 line also.

Yep ythat's Artec. :huggy:
I'd be rocking a lot more of their stuff but opted to keep it local. ECGS is great. I'm a huge fan of the Barnes ultra100 line also.
So did you go with ECGS? would love the truss kit, but in all honesty, ill never need it, I dont plan on going bigger than 33s on this rig. But, ya know plans can change

So did you go with ECGS? would love the truss kit, but in all honesty, ill never need it, I dont plan on going bigger than 33s on this rig. But, ya know plans can change
90% of the brackets on my build is Barnes.
To keep it easy, I think ECGS bracket kit would be the way to go. Unless you NEED a truss, just weld the tubes and you should be good.

90% of the brackets on my build is Barnes.
To keep it easy, I think ECGS bracket kit would be the way to go. Unless you NEED a truss, just weld the tubes and you should be good.
Alright, good to know.

:D how does the old saying go... If I had a nickel for every time... well you get it
Yeaaaaaa, but if I keep getting free tires, free wheels, and axles as gifts.......... they aint no telling what ill end up with lol

Back